Duplicate checker/cleanup tool

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
Ardy Haze

Duplicate checker/cleanup tool

Post by Ardy Haze »

I would love for a way to clean all the dupes from my manager.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Duplicate checker/cleanup tool

Post by Erwin Denissen »

No problem as our font manager should do the trick. At least with MainType 4.0 or higher.

Within MainType, go to the Library view, so you see all fonts known by MainType. Select all, and then right click in order to select the export action. From there you will have to select a folder on a drive with sufficient free space. Then all your fonts will be copied to that folder. Make sure MainType does not search for fonts within that folder. If you are not sure, make an archive (e.g. .zip, or .7z) of the export folder.

After a successful export, you can remove the files from the original sources on your system. To do this, again select all fonts, and select the remove action. You can now choose between 3 ways to remove/delete your fonts. The first option will do the trick, as it will remove the font resource files from your system, while the fonts remain available in MainType.

Let us know your results!
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Ardy Haze

Post by Ardy Haze »

Hi Erwin. Unfortunately that did not work.

To give you more information: the export handled the duplicates by exporting both, and appending a 1 to the end of one. (ex. ACaslonPro-Italic.otf and ACaslonPro-Italic1.otf)
In MainType, only one of those shows as installed, and the other fails if I attempt to install. I should also mention, in all duplicate instances, they are different file sizes - but neither appear to be corrupted and both open in Windows Font Viewer.

I also just noticed I have 3 corrupted (red circle) Active fonts that will not delete/uninstall no matter what I do - and they do not appear in the library.
Ardy Haze

Post by Ardy Haze »

Just thought I'd give you an update and let you know that using CCleaner's registry cleaner I was able to remove the corrupted fonts. The program is now working as I had hoped.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Ardy Haze wrote:To give you more information: the export handled the duplicates by exporting both, and appending a 1 to the end of one. (ex. ACaslonPro-Italic.otf and ACaslonPro-Italic1.otf)
In MainType, only one of those shows as installed, and the other fails if I attempt to install. I should also mention, in all duplicate instances, they are different file sizes - but neither appear to be corrupted and both open in Windows Font Viewer.
Then the feature works as I told you. I think you mix up duplicates and similars. A duplicate is an exact copy of a font resource. You are now talking about similar fonts, e.g. several versions of a font. There is no way MainType can detect this. Sometimes two different fonts do have the same name, and surely you want to keep both.
Ardy Haze wrote:I also just noticed I have 3 corrupted (red circle) Active fonts that will not delete/uninstall no matter what I do - and they do not appear in the library.
I'm very curious about these. Can you tell me the names, or send us the files?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology