corrupted character

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
meamjw

corrupted character

Post by meamjw »

I have a font called Kahoe Tech Latin. The small o is corrupted. It will not display at all, not even in the font name, but it's actually there in a weird form. When I magnify the glyph there is a tiny o way down in the box with four horizontal lines above it.
I want to know how to repair or replace that character. I tried copying and pasting a good one from another font but can't paste anything into it. I'm now assuming I have to have a font editor. Is that correct? If so, can you please recommend a cheap one? I would probably only use it about once per year and that doesn't justify spending a lot of money.
Erwin Denissen

Re: corrupted character

Post by Erwin Denissen »

meamjw wrote:I tried copying and pasting a good one from another font but can't paste anything into it.
You didn't explain from within what software you tried to copy, but I assume you used our font editing software. It allows you to paste other outlines as long as the destination glyph isn't a composite glyph.
meamjw wrote:I'm now assuming I have to have a font editor. Is that correct? If so, can you please recommend a cheap one? I would probably only use it about once per year and that doesn't justify spending a lot of money.
Sure, a font editor will allow you to fix fonts, but maybe there is a more recent version of the font that has a correct "small letter o". Contact the font vendor first.

There are several font editors that might suit your needs. FontCreator is one of them, and the home edition costs $79.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
meamjw

Post by meamjw »

This morning I downloaded a trial of Main Type thinking it would allow me to fix the missing character. It does not seem to be any help at all. The only"fix" it seems to offer is to delete the entire font. After more browsing of the High Logic site I'm now wondering if I need Font Creator to make any useful modifications to any font characters?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

meamjw wrote:I'm now wondering if I need Font Creator to make any useful modifications to any font characters?
Yes, you need FontCreator to edit fonts. MainType is a font manager and viewer. See my signature for some reviews of what each product does.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

for $78 I will draw you a new one...