Bugged font

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
Slapgravel

Bugged font

Post by Slapgravel »

Hi guys,

I'm currently writing a paper for a journal and they are very specific about formatting. I identified the desired fonts and downloaded them but they seem bugged. When I look at the font in FontBook the preview just displays a few black marks at the top of the window, which I assume is the bottom of some characters.
Screen shot 2013-03-28 at 10.25.30.png
Screen shot 2013-03-28 at 10.25.30.png (28.04 KiB) Viewed 6001 times
When I try to change the font in word / pages / any other font-using software, some times the font will display, sometimes the text disappears and I can't get it back. I've restarted and restarted, the fonts display properly in drop-down menus.

Driving me mad...you guys seem like the pros, any ideas?

Thanks

Jason
Erwin Denissen

Re: Bugged font

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Based on your information, I can only agree. The fonts are corrupt, or at least not compatible with your system. You can fix them with our font editor. Most likely one or more calculated fields related to the font metrics are out of sync.
http://www.high-logic.com/fontcreator/m ... trics.html
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Slapgravel

Post by Slapgravel »

Ye I assumed so...I bought the bundle and all of them seem to be having the same issue, so I assume it's not a random corruption, it must be a compatibility issue. Has anyone seen this before? I turned my comp on today and booted the paper and it displayed perfectly...I was relieved, but when I tried to input another letter in the text BAM it all jumped up off the screen.
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

OTF or TTF? OTF seems to take long time to load with over 1400 glyphs.
How many kerning pairs are there? I've seen OTF with zero pairs -- not a good sign. TTF had >1400 pairs.

Have you installed/uninstalled/reinstalled the fonts?

Did you get them from a "reliable" source? Contact them with your questions.

I have seen instances where glyphs have the tops cut off. The answer with Font Creator is to correct the metrics.
Slapgravel

Post by Slapgravel »

They are TTF. I contacted the supplier but have got no response twice...not a good sign. Is there any way to see if the font editor would fix them? I don't want to be spending money if it's just not going to work.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Send me one, and I'll see if I can fix it. Then I can give you instructions that explain what I did, so you can fix the others.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology