Open Type Question

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
heathert

Re: Open Type Question

Post by heathert »

Ahhhh! Thank you so much. Totally forgot about that little export feature. Bhikkhu, next time I do this I will definitely just map the upper/lowercase to each other! I'd already re-written all the code by the time I read your suggestion... =) Thanks again everybody for being so much help!
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
William wrote:It would be helpful if someone with PagePlus X5 or maybe PagePlus X6 could try the Sqwash font in PagePlus and check my results please.
Its really not necessary to install the font, or test it in PagePlus.
Well, I only installed it temporarily, which was good as it meant that I could easily test the version that I made from the project file without having to uninstall the original font.

In fact, I was asking if someone could check what I found in PagePlus as I was unsure at the time that I was checking it correctly.

I feel that it is good to test the font in an application made by another company so that the test is independently verified.
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Users can test the font in the Font Test window while they are developing it.
Well, I seem to be having problems getting it to work. I accept that I may well not be using the software correctly as I am still learning how to use it.

I just tried the font test window and to my delight the bj ligature was working with the new font, but I then tried an ia and it was not working. I cannot seem to be able to test custom ligatures such as da or ia in the test window.

William
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

William wrote:PagePlus X5 did not treat an rlig as absolutely on. Its use needed to be switched on.
Thanks for spotting that. I have reported the bug to Serif™

I attach my version of the Sqwash project file so that you can see how it can be done with less code. I have stripped the lowercase subs, and left the uppercase ones, as its more usual to have a font with no lowercase, than no uppercase. Both code-points for "A" (65) and "a"(97) are mapped to uppercase "A".
Attachments
Sqwash.fcp
(43.05 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
heathert

Post by heathert »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: I attach my version of the Sqwash project file so that you can see how it can be done with less code. I have stripped the lowercase subs, and left the uppercase ones, as its more usual to have a font with no lowercase, than no uppercase. Both code-points for "A" (65) and "a"(97) are mapped to uppercase "A".
Wow, you are the fastest ever--thanks so much! I will have to peruse it later today in detail. I look forward to seeing how it's *supposed* to be done!
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

William wrote:PagePlus X5 did not treat an rlig as absolutely on. Its use needed to be switched on.
That's interesting. The rlig UI suggestion is that the feature should be active by default.
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

heathert wrote:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: I attach my version of the Sqwash project file so that you can see how it can be done with less code. I have stripped the lowercase subs, and left the uppercase ones, as its more usual to have a font with no lowercase, than no uppercase. Both code-points for "A" (65) and "a"(97) are mapped to uppercase "A".
Wow, you are the fastest ever--thanks so much! I will have to peruse it later today in detail. I look forward to seeing how it's *supposed* to be done!
You can cut it down even further by doing the same with the accented letters.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

heathert wrote: I look forward to seeing how it's *supposed* to be done!
Don't be misled by the "Top Topographer" forum handle — its just means that some users have a certain number of posts.

I am not a complete novice to OpenType features, but I am certainly no expert, and only learnt how to add OpenType features from the Tutorial thread on this forum, in January 2008.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
heathert

Post by heathert »

Ok. The font works beautifully in InDesign. It is working neither in Photoshop nor in Illustrator, however. Baffling. But at least it's working somewhere! Thanks again to everybody for all your input, and to Bhikkhu for taking the time to straighten out my code and mappings. I really have learned a lot! :D
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

heathert wrote:Ok. The font works beautifully in InDesign. It is working neither in Photoshop nor in Illustrator, however. Baffling. But at least it's working somewhere!
Could it have anything to do with the direction of the contours? Most (all?) of them are the wrong way around. If it still doesn't work in PS or Illy after you allow the Font Validation Wizard to fix what it can, try fixing the remaining errors manually and then see whether it fares any better.
heathert

Post by heathert »

Ok, thanks Alfred, I'll give it a try.
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

A post that I made earlier today, which in some ways followed on from this thread yet which also raised some more general issues about OpenType as well has been moved to start a new thread.

Here is a link to that new thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4407

William Overington

23 May 2013