Preview panel

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Preview panel

Post by William »

It would be helpful if the text box of the preview panel could accept and act upon a return character.

Is it possible to implement such a feature please?

The reason for this request is that the preview panel is the only way that I have here at present to test a colour font.

William Overington

26 September 2013
Erwin Denissen

Re: Preview panel

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I'm sorry but for now we prefer the basic combo box, as it allows you to easily select a predefined preview text.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

William wrote:It would be helpful if the text box of the preview panel could accept and act upon a return character.
Do you really need different line lengths? You can easily limit the overall line length by adjusting the size of the preview window.
Attachments
FontCreator_Colour-font-preview.png
FontCreator_Colour-font-preview.png (13.99 KiB) Viewed 12468 times
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Alfred wrote:Do you really need different line lengths? You can easily limit the overall line length by adjusting the size of the preview window.
The reason for the request is that it would be helpful in building up the text for pictures such as the following in WordPad and then be able to copy and paste them straight into the text box of the preview panel.

viewtopic.php?p=20151#p20151

Also, it would help with being able to produce nice displays of text in the preview panel without having to try to juggle with lots of space characters.

I am pleased to view the image in your post of a colour font: have you any images for the Gallery please?

William Overington

27 September 2013
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

William wrote:The reason for the request is that it would be helpful in building up the text for pictures such as the following in WordPad and then be able to copy and paste them straight into the text box of the preview panel.

viewtopic.php?p=20151#p20151

Also, it would help with being able to produce nice displays of text in the preview panel without having to try to juggle with lots of space characters.
I understand now. When I first read that post I saw that you had added lots of space characters, but I didn't appreciate the significance of this.
William wrote:I am pleased to view the image in your post of a colour font: have you any images for the Gallery please?
Thank you for the suggestion, but that is simply Dave Crosby's basic font with the seven popular colours of the rainbow applied to the first seven numerals. I hardly think it belongs in the gallery!
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Alfred wrote:I understand now. When I first read that post I saw that you had added lots of space characters, but I didn't appreciate the significance of this.
The reason for the space characters at the top of the picture is because the first line on the preview panel seems always to start with a small space. When I am trying to produce a design with a font where all of the glyphs are of equal width, that small space stops the first row being directly above the second row, so I worked round the situation by making the first row all spaces.
William wrote:I am pleased to view the image in your post of a colour font: have you any images for the Gallery please?
Alfred wrote:Thank you for the suggestion, but that is simply Dave Crosby's basic font with the seven popular colours of the rainbow applied to the first seven numerals. I hardly think it belongs in the gallery!
Well, I think it would be good to have as many images using colour fonts from as many people as possible in the Gallery.

I like to encourage people to have a go at publishing something. I have found that if I get started with something basic then that is then my starting point to have a go at something else and then that is my new starting point. So I encourage everybody who has started to design a colour font to consider posting an image in the Gallery please.

By the way, I have just realized that the top bar of the preview panel in your image is a much lighter colour than the top bar of the preview panel in my images: why is that please?

William Overington

27 September 2013
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

William wrote:By the way, I have just realized that the top bar of the preview panel in your image is a much lighter colour than the top bar of the preview panel in my images: why is that please?
That's simply because I'm using the default theme on Windows 7, so the windows are 'skinned' differently from those on your Windows XP system.
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Thank you.

William
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This issue was fixed. I don't remember when, but in FontCreator 10.1 you can type "/newline" to begin a new line in the Preview Toolbar.
Newline in Preview Toolbar.png
Newline in Preview Toolbar.png (25.28 KiB) Viewed 10324 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486