Localizable Sentences Experiment font support

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Localizable Sentences Experiment font support

Post by William »

I have experimented further with the 3D model.

Here is an image of the sculpture on a plinth.
thank_you_for_visiting_sculpture_on_plinth.png
thank_you_for_visiting_sculpture_on_plinth.png (10.56 KiB) Viewed 327268 times
A passive radio frequency identification tag could be mounted in the plinth, some way forward of the lower left corner of the sculpture. The idea is that the passive radio frequency identification tag would be programmed to return the character U+E902 when read. That character could be used to access a database so as to display the phrase Thank you for visiting localized into the language of the person reading the display of the device that was used to read the passive radio frequency identification tag.

Please note that most of the symbol designs for localizable sentences that are in the Localizable Sentences 027 font would not in normal everyday use of localizable sentences technology be displayed.

William Overington

7 January 2012
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Here are two further pdf documents.
locse027.pdf
The one hundred and fifty-eight mapped symbol glyphs of the Localizable Sentences 027 font and localizations into English en-gb-oed text.
(26.29 KiB) Downloaded 1994 times
locse027_four_simulations.pdf
locse027_four_simulations.pdf
(82.68 KiB) Downloaded 1758 times
William Overington

10 January 2012
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Here is an additional document that I produced last week.
locse027_simulation_five.pdf
locse027_simulation_five.pdf
(28.65 KiB) Downloaded 1752 times
William Overington

30 January 2012
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

I was recently sent the following link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QRpedia

The page includes a link to the following page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_code

As a result of reading about QR codes and thinking of how they can be applied, I thought of an idea about using QR codes, an idea that may possibly be a new idea, an idea that is not about localization.

At present I regard this idea as spin-off from my research on communication through the language barrier.

Anyway, here is a research document that I have produced. Maybe it could lead to a new thread about producing a font with QR code glyphs for individual characters.
a_simulation_about_an_idea_that_would_use_qr_codes.pdf
A simulation about an idea that would use QR codes.
(20.14 KiB) Downloaded 1746 times

William Overington

11 April 2012

----

Supplementary note of 29 September 2012

The folliowing post may be of interest.

viewtopic.php?p=17393#p17393

In that post is an attachment named as follows.

experimental_table_top_for_telephoning_1200_by_800.pdf

William Overington

29 September 2012

End of supplementary note of 29 September 2012
Last edited by William on Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Some readers might like to have the following font.
LOCSE028.TTF
Localizable Sentences 028 font
(108.36 KiB) Downloaded 1693 times
This font has 140 more mapped glyphs than the Localizable Sentences 027 font, mapped from U+EA60 through to U+EAEB.

These have Alt codes from Alt 60000 through to Alt 60139.

The 139 cells mapped from U+EA61 through to U+EAEB each contain a glyph that is hopefully capable of being understandable both by people and by an appropriate computer vision system, though a computer vision system programmed to read these symbols does not, as far as I know, exist at the time of writing this text.

Here are two examples, one displayed in black upon a white background and one displayed in white upon a red background.
example028.png
example028.png (1.61 KiB) Viewed 326493 times
example029.png
example029.png (1.58 KiB) Viewed 326493 times
One particular application area that I am thinking about is the possibility of text-based road signs such as NEW ROAD LAYOUT AHEAD and ROAD AHEAD CLOSED could carry such a symbol in the lower left corner of the sign so as to assist automated localization into the language of a driver visiting from a country where English is not the native language, for example by using a speech synthesis system in the cab of the lorry that he or she is driving.

In the United Kingdom, the signs NEW ROAD LAYOUT AHEAD and ROAD AHEAD CLOSED have white text upon a red background, which is the reason for the colours used in the example029.png graphic.

Please compare and contrast these glyphs with QR codes that are not usually human-readable and ordinary text digits that are not usually straightforwardly machine-readable.

William Overington

11 August 2012
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

an_art_experiment_localized_into_English.pdf
(11.66 KiB) Downloaded 1754 times
LOCSE031.TTF
(115.87 KiB) Downloaded 1685 times
William Overington

27 October 2012
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

The Localizable Sentences 031 font includes, as well as all of the mapped glyphs in the Localizable Sentences 028 font and all the mapped glyphs for the art experiment, two other mapped glyphs.

Here is some transcript.

Start of transcript

25 August 2012

Open LOCSE028.TTF

Save as LOCSE029.TTF Localizable Sentences 029

Signs for stadium visual display screens

Add two glyphs, mapped to U+ED00 Alt 60672 and U+ED01 Alt 60673.

 

Set the advance with to 2048 font units.

U+ED00 If you are able to stand, could you please stand.

U+ED01 Please be seated.

End of transcript

The design of these two glyphs was an interesting situation.

All of the previous glyphs for localizable sentences each encoded as a single character in this experiment in communication through the language barrier had been in a cell with an advance width of 6144 font units (=24 x 256) and had a glyph width of 5888 font units (= 23 x 256) with a structure built around sections, of widths, in units of 256 font units, of 7, 1, 7, 1, 7. This has proved useful for being able to have the leftmost section indicating to which group of related glyphs the particular glyph belongs, with detail being in the centre and righmost wider sections.

However, I thought that such quite complicated design glyphs, which would usually not be analysed by an end user of an implemented system (if such an implementation is ever built), would not be best for symbols that would be displayed with the intention that people would know their meaning by looking at them. So I made these two glyphs 1792 font units wide (= 7 x 256) in a cell with an advance width of 2048 font units (=8 * 256 font units).

This allowed simpler designs to be used for these two glyphs.

William Overington

1 November 2012
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Supplementary note of 25 April 2013

This post contains a font. The next post in this thread contains a later version of the font.

If experimenting please use the later font. No mappings have changed, just the glyph designs of the ten localizable digits for use solely within localizable sentence markup bubbles so as to make them more readable by humans.

The original post is after this supplementary note.

William Overington

25 April 2013

End of supplementary note of 25 April 2013

Some readers may have noticed the thread on Encoding Localizable Sentences that is running in the Unicode mailing list at the present time.

The posts are archived and the archive can be accessed on the web.

http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicod ... index.html

My post from earlier today is as follows.

http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicod ... /0086.html

In that post, which as it happens includes a link to a post earlier in this present thread, I wrote as follows.

I am hoping to prepare Simulation 6 to show a simulation where the localizable sentences could be encoded within a plain text message using localizable sentence markup bubbles and Simulation 7 where there is a mixture of the two encoding methods. This will need first of all a new version of the font so as to have symbols for the localizable sentence markup bubble brackets and ten localizable digits for use solely within localizable sentence markup bubbles.

end quote

I have now produced the new version of the font to which I referred.

Here is the font.
LOCSE032.TTF
Localizable Sentences 032 font
(116.66 KiB) Downloaded 1688 times

The ten localizable digits for use solely within localizable sentence markup bubbles are encoded from U+ED80 through to U+ED89 with Alt codes from Alt 60800 through to Alt 60809.



The localizable sentence markup bubble brackets are encoded at U+ED90 and U+ED91 with Alt codes of Alt 60816 and Alt 60817.



I have made the designs for the two localizable sentence markup bubble brackets deliberately not horizontal mirror images of each other in case that might cause problems if intermixing them within right to left scripts. I do not know enough of right to left scripts to know if there would be a problem, so I thought that I would seek to design the glyphs so as to avoid any problems that might arise.

William Overington

22 April 2013
Last edited by William on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

William wrote:
I have now produced the new version of the font to which I referred.

Here is the font.
I tried using the Localizable Sentences 032 font in the production of documents for simulation 6 and simulation 7.

Although the font worked well, nevertheless I found the results somewhat hard to read. I was trying to have a 'computer-look' effect.

So I have redesigned the glyphs for the ten localizable digits for use solely within localizable sentence markup bubbles. They are not so wide now. Hopefully they are now easier to read yet still have a 'computer-look' effect. The mappings are unchanged.

There has been no change at all to the glyphs or the mappings of the two localizable sentence markup bubble brackets.

This means that the brackets and the digits do not have the same advance width anymore.

I particularly want the brackets to have square glyphs.

Here is the new font.
LOCSE034.TTF
Localizable Sentences 034 font
(118.98 KiB) Downloaded 1637 times

William Overington

25 April 2013
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

William wrote: I am hoping to prepare Simulation 6 to show a simulation where the localizable sentences could be encoded within a plain text message using localizable sentence markup bubbles ...
I have now produced Simulation 6.
locse034_simulation_six.pdf
locse034_simulation_six.pdf
(32.72 KiB) Downloaded 1642 times

William Overington

25 April 2013
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

William wrote: I am hoping to prepare Simulation 6 to show a simulation where the localizable sentences could be encoded within a plain text message using localizable sentence markup bubbles and Simulation 7 where there is a mixture of the two encoding methods.
In the event, research has progressed and Simulation 7 does not, in fact, simulate the scenario that I had in mind at the time that I wrote the above note.

Simulation 7 is now a more advanced scenario involving a simulation where the localizable sentences could be encoded within a plain text message using localizable sentence markup bubbles and the original glyphs, for display only in situations where display of them were desired, would not be mapped directly but would each be accessed using glyph substitution from a localizable sentence markup bubble using an advanced format font.
locse034_simulation_seven.pdf
locse034_simulation_seven.pdf
(34.91 KiB) Downloaded 1669 times

William Overington

25 April 2013
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

I have submitted a proposal to the Unicode Technical Committee with the following title.

A proposal for encoding twelve localizable sentence markup bubble characters, together with a request for action to set up an encoding infrastructure for the encoding in a separate standardization document of complete localizable sentence markup bubbles using those twelve characters

The document is available from a link labelled L2/13-079 on the following web page.

http://www.unicode.org/L2/L-curdoc.htm

The meeting of the Unicode Technical Committee is due to take place from 6 May 2013 through to 10 May 2013 at San José in California.

A person can send in comments on the proposal and request if he or she so chooses. I think that comments will be listed in the Current UTC Document Register 2013 page and be available for public viewing. The first page linked below lists an email address to which one may send an email with a pdf as an attachment to the email. The second page linked below includes a form and is for typed text only.

http://www.unicode.org/pending/docsubmit.html

http://www.unicode.org/reporting.html

William Overington

1 May 2013
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Here is a new research publication.
Communication_through_the_language_barrier_in_some_particular_circumstances_by_means_of_encoded_localizable_sentences.pdf
Communication through the language barrier in some particular circumstances by means of encoded localizable sentences
(47.85 KiB) Downloaded 1642 times
William Overington

17 February 2014
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Here is another new research publication.
The_format_of_the_sentence.dat_file_used_for_automated_localization_of_encoded_localizable_sentences.pdf
The format of the sentence.dat file used for automated localization of encoded localizable sentences
(57.54 KiB) Downloaded 1668 times
The following has been of great value in my research.

viewtopic.php?p=10579#p10579

William Overington

19 February 2014
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

William wrote:The following has been of great value in my research.

viewtopic.php?p=10579#p10579
The ubiquitous IrfanView includes a feature named HEXView (accessed via the F3 function key) but it's nice to see an 'in-house' solution. 8)
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10