Problem with PDF Output

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Problem with PDF Output

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

When I produce a PDF, I get this error message "Font Skt Goudy Old Style BT with style Bold, Italic can't be found - Text will be output as curves."

The font is definitely installed. I have edited the fonts again, using autorenaming to ensure that all the names match correctly. I checked the Unicode ranges and code pages. What else could be cauisng this mismatch?

Is the name too long perhaps?

"Skt Goudy Old Style BT Bold Italic" = 34 characters

Edit: That doesn't seem to be the problem. Having changed the font name to Skt GoudyOldStyleBT

"Font Skt GoudyOldStyleBT Bold Italic can't be found - Text will be output as curves"

I rebooted and ran FixFontsFolder utility. All checks out OK.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

In the end I changed every occurence of bold-italic in my document to bold, but this is not a solution that I would recommend.

Doesn't anyone know what might be causing this?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

PDF Problems

Post by Dave Crosby »

Hi Bhikkhu,

It sounds like the program you are using to make the PDF is unable to find the font. Could it be the file location? I seem to remember someone mentioning not saving their fonts in the Windows folder. What program or version are you using to make the PDF? It could be a glitch [spelled "bug"] there.

Sorry I can't be of more help, I've chosen to spend my money in other places that at Acrobat Writer.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Jowaco

Post by Jowaco »

Sorry, Pesala. Your problem is out of my realm. I wish so much that I could help. You have helped others, particularly me, on so many other occasions. I use a PDF writer: DocuCom PDF writer and have not experienced anything like that which you describe.
Hope you find the solution.

Joe.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I'm still baffled by this. I'm producing the PDF from Serif Page Plus 9. I can change the font for the whole document easily with select all without changing the typestyles - bold, italic, bold-italic, etc.

Times New Roman worked fine.
Skt Palermo worked fine
Skt Garland worked fine
Skt GoudyOldStyleBT couldn't find the bold italic
Skt ITC Garamond couldn't find the italic

So it seems to be a font problem, rather than a problem with my DTP program.

I edited my Goudy font using the autonaming wizard, cutting and pasting the name to make sure there was no typing error. I don't know where else to start looking.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I renamed them all again, this time to:

Skt GoudyOldStyle

This worked fine, so it seems that it could be a problem with the length of the name.

One final test to add the BT back in again.

Confirmed

"Font Skt GoudyOldStyleBT Bold Italic can't be found - Text will be output as curves"

Apparently a name of 31 characters total is too long. Perhaps I shall have to revise my signature :)
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

As mentioned in the help file the Font Family name has a maximum length of 31 characters. What field did contain too many characters?

http://www.high-logic.com/manual/namingoverview.html
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Include Full Font Name:

"Skt GoudyOldStyleBT Bold Italic" = 31 characters :?:

The Font Family name is "Skt GoudyOldStyleBT" which is much less.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Could you send me both a version that is causing problems and one that works just fine?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I tried to send a zip file of 111 K containing both fonts, but it seems that your mailbox is full.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Both fonts have correct naming information according to the specifications. This must be a limitation of the PDF generator.

I'm still able to send messages to myself. Maybe your ISP had some mail problems.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Thank you for taking the trouble. I'll try posting on the Serif forum.

Edit:

It seems that it is not a bug, but a limit imposed by postscript standards. The postscript font name is limited to 29 characters according to this post on the Serif forum

I even contributed to that thread, but failed to remember the details. :oops: