Font rotation questions

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
jscozz

Font rotation questions

Post by jscozz »

I think you have an excellent product... but I am hoping you can help me find a solution to this problem... I have not been able to find any info in your documentation.

I am creating a font with some symbols that I will use GDI+ to rotate when I draw them... I need to set the center point of the glyph so that it is exactly the same no matter what rotation matrix I apply to the symbol when I draw it (single character only). How can I specify the exact center point of the glyph that Windows will use as the center of rotation?

Also, will I get better quality results if I create 1 glyph and then let Windows GDI+ rotate it for me, or if I just ceate 16 glyphs with your product, one at each rotation angle I will need, and then just draw them in GDI+? Is there any quality difference between the two methods when it comes to the hinting, curves and antialiasing, especially at smaller sizes?

If I were to create 16 different rotated glyphs, the first question above still applies... i.e. how do I set the point in the glyph that would be at the center of the character when drawn with vertical and horz center alignment in GDI+?

Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This is a beyond my knowledge, but I think you will find that windows will rotate fonts about the origin. So you have to design your glyphs centred around the origin, not like most normal glyphs which are above, and to the right of the origin. The Glyph Transformation feature makes it easy to rotate glyphs by any angle. Character hints cannot currently be added in Font Creator.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Rotating Glyphs

Post by Dave Crosby »

Place a guide line at the angle you want.

Select the glyph in contour mode [the outline will turn red] and right click in it. An "X" will appear in the center of the glyph.

Use the mouse to grab a corner, and rotate it to the angle you want.
Aut nunc aut nunquam