Tutorials for Font Creator?

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
Billybudwin

Tutorials for Font Creator?

Post by Billybudwin »

Hello. I am new to Font Creator and I would like to know if there is a place where I can find tutorials on getting started with Font Creator? :(
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Tutorials for Font Creator?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Tutorials for FontCreator

Tutorials Forum

Online Help File

Specific questions about how to do something are best asked in the Support Forum. Tell us which version you are using and attach your Font Project if it doesn't seem to work as expected.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Billybudwin

Post by Billybudwin »

Thanks!
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have added a Getting Started tutorial to my Review Page. The first one was made for FontCreator 7.5 Professional Edition.

It is not very well polished as I am still learning how to use FastStone Capture. More videos may follow later if I can find the time. They are in Windows Media Player format. Use the Pause button to read the text, which disappears a bit too quickly.

This is a Direct Link to the Getting Started tutorial (19.9 Mbytes).

Updated again now that I learnt how to delete unwanted sections, and extend the display of text messages.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Fri May 30, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updated video
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I'm not able to see it, as I don't have windows media player. Could you upload it to youtube?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Erwin Denissen wrote:I'm not able to see it, as I don't have windows media player. Could you upload it to youtube?
I wonder why not? Isn't it installed with Windows 8?

Download the Free Windows Media Player.

Uploading to YouTube is troublesome — updating an existing file on my own server is simple with FTP. I already updated my file this morning (this one is bigger and better at 22.1 Mbytes).
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Our Windows installs came without movie player, but I've managed to view the video and must say it contains a lot of valuable information.

WMV is not widely compatible with Mac and Linux, so people can't watch the movie on an Mac, iPhone or iPad.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Erwin Denissen wrote:WMV is not widely compatible with Mac and Linux, so people can't watch the movie on an Mac, iPhone or iPad.
That's not so bad since FontCreator doesn't easily run on MAC, iPhones, or Linux. :D

I updated the video again. I learnt how to delete bits, and extend the display of text comments, and it's slightly smaller now too.

FastStone only exports to WMV format as far as I know.
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
Erwin Denissen wrote:WMV is not widely compatible with Mac and Linux, so people can't watch the movie on an Mac, iPhone or iPad.
That's not so bad since FontCreator doesn't easily run on MAC, iPhones, or Linux. :D

I updated the video again. I learnt how to delete bits, and extend the display of text comments, and it's slightly smaller now too.

FastStone only exports to WMV format as far as I know.
Yes, the otherwise excellent FastStone Capture currently only exports to WMV format, but there are plenty of video converters out there, many of them free. I had a quick go with your previous version earlier today, using Freemake Video Converter, and I managed to create a reasonable 720 × 540 copy as an MP4 file which weighed in at just over 18 MB. New users may well want to view tutorial videos on an iPad or similar while learning to use FontCreator on a PC.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Fri May 30, 2014 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link to Malware removed
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Alfred wrote:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I had a quick go with your previous version earlier today, using Freemake Video Converter, and I managed to create a reasonable 720 × 540 copy as an MP4 file which weighed in at just over 18 MB.
My latest version actually got 50% bigger, but I think I will skip this step. I will let others convert my WMV files if they want to watch them on an iPhone.

You should run Malwarebytes to clean your system.

Freemake installed a load of PUPs, so I removed the link in your post, and uninstalled the program.
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:You should run Malwarebytes to clean your system.

Freemake installed a load of PUPs, so I removed the link in your post, and uninstalled the program.
I run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware regularly, and my system is clean. However, I do recall something in Freemake Video Converter (perhaps in an update) being flagged up as PUPs by MBAM quite some time ago. Sorry about that! :oops: All very unfortunate, because it's easy to use and it does work well. :(
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

This was shared on another forum I frequent. Looks interesting, includes video. I downloaded it, haven't installed it yet as I am leaving town.

http://tinytake.com
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I added another tutorial for Using the Glyph Overview
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I added another tutorial for Adding Characters
  1. Copy and paste glyphs from a font with an OpenSource license agreement
  2. Use Complete Composites
  3. Insert empty glyphs and copy outlines and/or metrics from the current font
  4. Use the Insert Characters Dialogue to add an entire Character Set (Latin Additional A)
  5. Use the Glyph Transformer to run the Eastern Europe script, to add a wider range of characters to support all language of Eastern Europe.
After adding characters using the above methods, some outlines may need some editing, or the position of some accents in the completed composites may need adjusting for position. The Home Edition doesn't have the powerful features to automate the process, but you can still add characters and create composite glyphs.
hhnguyen

Post by hhnguyen »

Thanks for the video tuts. They are very helpful for novice like myself

Regards
hhnguyen