How to change ONE font character

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
prr

How to change ONE font character

Post by prr »

I have just started using Trebuchet MS as the default font in MS Office (I saw it in a MacBook and couldn't believe how nice it looked), but I hate its ampersand (&) symbol. I would like to use Calibri's ampersand symbol.

Now my question is (and this is from a bona fide font newbie)--how can I do this? Is there a way I can simply cut and paste in MS Word? Or do I need a font editor program?

Any any recommendations? I seriously doubt I would need to do this in the future, as this is the first time I have ever thought of this...
MikeW

Re: How to change ONE font character

Post by MikeW »

Editing either font is likely a violation of the licenses.

But you can simply do the cut and paste method, and probably a find and replace and only changing the font on a finished document. Been a while since I used Word, and I cannot remember if there is a font only find and replace option in the dialog. But see if there is.

Mike
prr

Post by prr »

Sorry, when I said copy and paste, I meant using Word to go into the font itself and make a change---not editing the document. I did that today, but was wondering if there was a more long term solution to this issue.

I don't use either of these fonts in a professional setting, so I doubt that anyone would sue me over that.
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

prr wrote:Sorry, when I said copy and paste, I meant using Word to go into the font itself and make a change---not editing the document.
Maybe I've misunderstood what you're describing, but you can't "go into the font" in a word processor or DTP program. If you want to copy the ampersand from one font file to another, you need to use a font editor.
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
prr

Post by prr »

Alfred wrote:Maybe I've misunderstood what you're describing, but you can't "go into the font" in a word processor or DTP program. If you want to copy the ampersand from one font file to another, you need to use a font editor.
No, it sounds like you understand my question. OK then I'll look for a free font editor.

Any recommendations? Again, this is really going to be a one-off affair--I normally have no reason to edit fonts. I do create a fair amount of educational materials for my students, and I'd rather not have them look at Trebuchet MS' ampersand and wonder what it is. I'd rather have them listening to my lectures and wondering what I'm talking about. :)
prr

Post by prr »

Well I found one that was highly recommended on Download.com: TypeLight. Once I figured out how to work the program, I was able to easily delete the glypch for the ampersand, and then paste one from Calibri that I wanted, and then save the new font.