Can't Test

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
hicksvilleky

Can't Test

Post by hicksvilleky »

I've only made a couple of letters, but when i go to test it says Font is not valid, make sure all required Microsoft Naming Fields are available. I've gone through all the naming fields and nothing changes. :shock: Also, when I go to install Font it says Font Instal Failed. Can anyone please help me :?:
:-D
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Can you send a copy of your font directly to me? I'll see if I can identify your problem.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
ozalba

Can't Test

Post by ozalba »

Hi Erwin

I seem to have the same problem as hicksvilleky. I recently downloaded the prog, used it for the first time last night, and after working through the first tutorial with A and B, cannot test the font. I tried to install, and although told that install had failed, it was there in the fonts folder, though not accessible by MS Word or Publisher. I deleted and tried again, checking entries in all the Naming Fields, but just got the same result.

What was the solution for hicksvilleky?

Thanks
Oz
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I've never received the font, so I assume he gave up or he managed to find the solution and forgot to post his result here.

Can you send your file to me and I'll see if I can find the cause of your problem?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

There is nothing wrong with the font. Some questions that might lead to a solution are:
How did you install the font and what error message did you get?
What O.S. are you running?
What happens when you select "Test" from the "Font" menu?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
ozalba

Post by ozalba »

First question: I couldn't remember, so tried again just now, and everything is fine, at first glance. The only difference is, I have deleted several hundred fonts since the previous attempt, so presumably I had too many fonts. However, I could neither test nor install (actually, the font was saved to the Fonts folder, but didn't show up in applications). When I tried to test, I got the message "Font is not valid, make sure all required Microsoft Naming Fields are available". If the number of fonts was the problem, it seems that FCP's test routine is upset by that factor.

I have been vaguely aware of a limit for the number of fonts (in 98SE at least), but why is there a limit?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Windows 95/98 and Me have a 65K restriction for registry data. Because installed fonts are also added to the registry they run to that limit. Windows XP/2000 and 2003 have virtually no limit, but too many fonts will eventually slow down your system.

In case you are curious about the font related registry size, download FiFoFo from our download page. When you run it, it will show (among other things) something like this:
  • Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 (build 2600Service Pack 1)
    Physical Memory: 523.732 KB
    419 fonts installed.
    RegistryKeySize: 12527 bytes.
The maximum RegistryKeySize for Windows 98 is 65536 bytes.

The Font Creator Program should actually mention the fact that you were trying to exceed the registry limit. I'll add it to the todo list.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
ozalba

Post by ozalba »

Many thanks, Erwin - I'm suitably enlightened. I look forward to giving FCP a proper try now.

Ozalba