Character mapping/ keystrokes

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
TMHubler

Character mapping/ keystrokes

Post by TMHubler »

Hello! :)

I am new to font creation and have a question. I would like to create some custom characters for and existing TTF for use with the CADD software that my company uses.

My query: Can I map these characters to a dual key stroke? i.e.: ~b = a capital letter B with and capital letter L incorporated (abrev. for baseline). If so how might I go about this?

It would be great if someone could give me some insite into this problem as entering asii code for a character or using character map is tedious and not productive! TIA.

Oh...and by the way..this software kicks ass!!! VERY AFFORDABLE and Easy to use so far!!!
Tim
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Character mapping/keystrokes

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Sounds to me like you need a keyboard macro program.
Try keyboard pro. Then you can enter any character with a single shortcut key or a pair of keystrokes e.g. ~b
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
toma

Post by toma »

I'm curious how to do the same thing, except my needs are that I want to know more about how say, in the Arabic mapping, there must be a setting for key combinations. e.g. In arabic, if i type Laam + Alef (L + A) a ligature appears combinig the two--since these letters are written as one character. So, if it's been done for two, how do I creat a custom 2 or 3 character ligature (mapping)? That is, L+M+H in Arabic can be represented as one ligature. How do I get the computer to recognize such a combination? Or will i be forced to go to "Insert > Symbol" each time I want these (which would be a major pain).

toma
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Keyboard Macros

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I think that Perfect Keyboard Pro could be made to do what you want.
By default it comes with keyboard shortcuts to type your address and telephone number with shortcuts like:

.a = address
.p = phone number
.n = name
.e = email

So I don't see why you couldn't customise it so that:

LA = Laam + Alef ligature
LMH = Another ligature, etc.

I assume that you will want to type L, M, A, and H as separate characters usually. Clearly, such a system will not be too convenient if you change to typing English, but Keyboard Pro can be disable from the system tray, without actually unloading it, then re-enabled again when you need it.

I haven't got any special axe to grind about Keyboard Pro. I use it because I got a free copy on a Magazine cover disk. I am sure there are plenty of other similar utilites.

Visit: http://www.softwareutilities.com/ to download a trial copy.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
toma

Post by toma »

Thank you for your reply.

I posted a new question since my needs diverged slightly from the original question. Please see my new question re: special characters.

sincerely,
toma