Font File Location via Shortcut

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Brother Gabriel-Marie

Font File Location via Shortcut

Post by Brother Gabriel-Marie »

On my computer I use TexLive (lualatex) which is able to use fonts that are installed on the computer.

But I am having trouble with getting it to use fonts that are installed via MainType. When I go and explore c:\windows\fonts, I discover that the fonts installed by MainType are done via shortcut.

Is there an option in MainType that will install the font normally instead of via shortcut?
Also, if I delete the font from the physical font library where MainType loaded the font, will it break the font installation?

I was under the impression that MainType stored its fonts in a database and it didn't matter where the actual font file came from.
Brother Gabriel-Marie

Re: Font File Location via Shortcut

Okay, so texlive CANNOT read fonts that are installed via shortcuts.
Check this thread: https://github.com/lualatex/luaotfload/ ... -105914058
They are marking this as a wontfix unless someone makes a patch for them.

So, is there a way to have MainType not use shortcuts to install fonts?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

MainType never uses such link files.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Brother Gabriel-Marie

Mr. Denissen,

Really? My C:\fonts folder is full of shortcut files pointing to font files installed by MainType. I only use MainType to install fonts.
You can see my screenshot.

The target of the shortcut is one of the folders used by the MainType library.
fonts.png
fonts.png (74.49 KiB) Viewed 9807 times
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I understand the confusion, but it is merely a trick to see all installed fonts, even when they are outside Windows fonts folder.

As you can clearly see in your own Properties dialog, it isn't a shortcut.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Brother Gabriel-Marie

I beg to differ. In my own screenshot you can see that the path is not c:\windows\fonts.
But the folder that is open in Windows Explorer IS c:\windows\fonts.
You can also see the little shortcut icons on the icons that are not in c:\windows\fonts.

Oh - I think I understand what you mean:
If I open c:\windows\fonts in a different file-browser, say, FreeCommander, I do not see the shortcuts...
and you are right - if it were a *.lnk file, it would give a "target" instead of a "location"
In fact, the font I am looking for, Actionis, is not lised there at all (and it shouldn't be).
You are right. It's just a windows trick.
That means that Explorer is just reading the registry to get the list and the paths?

So, when MainType installs a font from the library, it just adds the font to the registry?
Windows NT
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts]
comtrjl

Post by comtrjl »

In the help file it says: 'An installed font is both added to the system font table and to the font related part of the registry' - so, using the registry, not links. Dont know where your links have come from and as was pointed out, your picture doesn't show a link as far as I can see.
I use ConText and have the same experience that fonts which are not physically present in the Windows fonts folder are not found. So I just manually put them in there by copying; I think you can do the same thing by exporting selected fonts from MainType and chosing that folder as the destination.
This is doable for me because I only use a few fonts and they are quite stable. If you use a lot of different ones I guess it is more complicated.

bob
Brother Gabriel-Marie

What and where is the "system font table"? I can't find it by googling.
comtrjl

Post by comtrjl »

This URL mentions it: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 85%29.aspx

It isn't something that is user-accessible (unless you're a programmer) as far as I can see.

bob
Brother Gabriel-Marie

Well, is there a way to make MainType install fonts by copying them into the Windows Font Folder instead of using shortcuts?

Neither TexLive (lualatex) nor Lilypond can read fonts that are installed via shortcut.

So I am forced NOT to use MainType as a font manager and if I want to use any fonts with those programs I have to uninstall them using MainType and then manually install them myself.
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Brother Gabriel-Marie wrote:Well, is there a way to make MainType install fonts by copying them into the Windows Font Folder instead of using shortcuts?

Neither TexLive (lualatex) nor Lilypond can read fonts that are installed via shortcut.

So I am forced NOT to use MainType as a font manager and if I want to use any fonts with those programs I have to uninstall them using MainType and then manually install them myself.
I dunno. Seems like a rewrite would be required.

Is there anyway you can encourage TexLive and Lillypond get with the program and see fonts installed when there is a shortcut and/or read the font table directly?

There may be other font managers for Windows that truly copies/removes fonts from Windows. Nexus comes to mind but cannot really recall if it is copying them to Windows' font folder or also creating shortcuts. The font manager I am now using also creates shortcuts and updates the font table. Other mainstream FMs I have used also use this method.
Brother Gabriel-Marie

Actually, they know about it. See here in this dev thread for texlive. Problem is that they aren't sure how to solve it. I'm actually surprised this is a problem, but it is!

And I don't want to use another font manager. I have used and tested for MainType for awhile now! My heart's already here and I've quit trying the other managers. I think you are right though - it seems like an update would be needed with a new option. (Mr. Denissen has his hands full with FontCreator, however, so I'm not going to ask!).