Bmp font > TTF font

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
EzJay

Bmp font > TTF font

Post by EzJay »

Hello, Im J and Im looking for a way to turn a font that I have in a .bmp file into a proper .ttf file.

You see this .bmp has all the characters on a grid (its a monowidth font) and in the correct order ( !"#$%&'()*+,-./012345 etc..). The file is from a game wich uses it as its font.
Now when I create a new font using Font Creator it wants me to upload a different picture for every single character. This means I have to copy every character out of the bmp, create a new .bmp for it, then import it into the Font Creator Program. That seems like a lot of unescesary work.

Is there a way to open the entire .bmp in the FCP, then add a grid to separate the characters?
Or basicly just a better way to turn my .bmp in a ttf?

If not, and if importing character for character really is the only way, does anybody know another way to turn my .bmp into separate.bmp's rather than copying pasting them letter by letter?

I hope I made my problem clear and somebody can help me out on this.

Exuse me for my bad english, and thanks in advance.
Jowaco

Post by Jowaco »

Hello EzJay,
Now when I create a new font using Font Creator it wants me to upload a different picture for every single character. This means I have to copy every character out of the bmp, create a new .bmp for it, then import it into the Font Creator Program. That seems like a lot of unescesary work.
It certainly is a lot of unnecessary work and it can be avoided. You clearly use an application which allows the selection of a specific character from your bitmap image of the range of characters. Instead of saving it to file you could Copy it to Clipboard and Paste it into a Glyph edit window. In this way you use the same 'platform' as the Import function with its values which can be set and remembered. Right click in an empty Edit window, choose Import, then, by ticking Defaults and pressing Cancel, set values are retained. To Paste repeatedly you could keep both FCP and your graphics application open, making the Window of each active alternately. This is economical of time and disc space.
Is there a way to open the entire .bmp in the FCP, then add a grid to separate the characters?

No, FCP has no such facility.
If not, and if importing character for character really is the only way, does anybody know another way to turn my .bmp into separate.bmp's rather than copying pasting them letter by letter?
You could try a third party dicing/slicing application such as the free Shoestring's Dicer.
Exuse me for my bad english, and thanks in advance.
Apologies are not necessary. Your English is excellent and your problem is clearly stated.

Hope this helps you.

Joe.
The_Black_Tiger

Post by The_Black_Tiger »

EzJay

Dave Crosby has posted an atricle in the Tutorial forum that maybe of use to you

viewtopic.php?t=605

HTH