Unable To Move My Font Folder

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
2Design

Unable To Move My Font Folder

Post by 2Design »

Hi, I'm not sure if anyone else has had this happen but I removed one of my font folders from the folder list and then tried to move it with Windows to another folder as I'm reorganising my folder structure, but Windows wouldn't move the folder, saying it or a file is being used by another program. So now it's stuck where it is. Just wondering if anyone has any solutions or ideas. Thanks.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Unable To Move My Font Folder

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Try rebooting Windows.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
2Design

Post by 2Design »

Well, it seems my font folders are controlled by a background process called svchost.exe.

This is the blurb about it I found on the web:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-7

so I've tried to kill the process using Unlocker but to no avail.

Therefore..... I might just have to copy my font folders to another location, completely uninstall MainType and the database. Then somehow try and delete my folders that are controlled my this svcshot - and start again. But before I do tomorrow, if anyone else has some further suggestions or insights, I'm all ears. Thanks.
comtrjl

Post by comtrjl »

You could look into booting Windows in 'safe mode' - this is a mode in which only basic services are running and it may allow you to move the folder(s) if none of these services lock the folder. Then just reboot back into normal mode.
In Win 7 it's accessed by pressing F8 as the system starts up. Windows 8 safe mode is described here: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 2255,d.d24

If that doesn't work you could try looking around for a CD boot disk e.g. for Linux Mint. It has a file manager not unlike Explorer and it understands the Windows NTFS file system, so you can see folders on the Windows disk and cut'n'paste them to wherever you need them to go. (Don't move c:\windows\fonts though, or you'll have a dead system!)

bob
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Unless you have an extensive database of fonts, all carefully tagged, reinstalling MainType is the simplest route. It takes me minutes rather than hours to reinstall and rebuild my font database. I have 4,096 fonts in my library.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486