Installable/Editable?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Gen

Installable/Editable?

Post by Gen »

I have made a font for a web project. I am using microsoft WEFT to embed it. For the font to be viewed correctly online it needs to be set as "Installable". My font is set to "Editable" as default. I have found the setting in Fontographer, but it doubles the file size and halves the quality (lol!!). I have searched high and low but cannot find the comparable setting in HL. can anyone point me in the right direction?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Font Embedding, Licensing Rights

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If I understand you rightly I think you will find what you need on:

Format, Settings, General Tab, Font embedding - Licensing rights.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Gen

It's good, but...

Post by Gen »

Thanks for the response :) This looks like the right area, but I have been through all of the options and it doesn't appear to change the permissions, it is changing something though.

I can tell the font's permission by updating the WEFT database, it gives a field for info that shows whether the font is installable, editable or previewable (there are probably more but I've only got a very basic font range installed at the moment). When I update the database it pauses on the file name of my font so its definatly having to do work on it - it just doesn't make any change in the info field. So, this is either the wrong setting to change OR I havent found the right option in this setting, I've eliminated the latter...

To give a bit more info: A user can visit the page with a custom font, without having that font installed on their computer. To do this I create an .eot file, using WEFT, that is linked with stylesheets. The problem occurs when a user clicks a link to the page rather than typing in the url, they cannot see the custom font, until they click on a link within the page. I played with a few standard windows fonts and found that if the font was installable rather than editable the problem disappeared.

A quick web search pulled back instructions on how to do this in fontographer:

Menu
Element
Font Information
OS/2 Data
In the resulting box, there's hex field named "fsType embedding"

There you enter the hex code for the setting you want.
$0000 - Installable embedding
$0001 - Installable embedding
$0002 - No embedding allowed
$0004 - Preview and Print embedding allowed
$0008 - Editable embedding allowed

I had tried taking the ttf I made in High Logic and just opening it in Fontographer to make the change, but as I said before that had "interesting" results!

Further help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA :)
Jowaco

Post by Jowaco »

Make sure all boxes are unchecked after pressing the Edit button.
Boxes indicate bits set.
Jowaco.
Jowaco

Post by Jowaco »

Sorry, should have added:
What you seek is in the Help file.
Look at:
Help
Contents and Index
Editing Fonts
Format
Settings