Can Fonts Be save as only a TTF font

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
pt_crusier_2002

Can Fonts Be save as only a TTF font

Post by pt_crusier_2002 »

Used FontCreator Pro V9 to create a Monumental Font and the Installer in the program to put into Windows 7 Home so other programs can use them. The fonts seem to work in Corel Draw, but not all programs.

Question is when I output a font is it saved as both a TTF and a OTF? Need the option to save only as a older TTF format. In my Gerber program within the program there is a TTF converter program to install them so they work from with in the program, which seem to be an issue that will not allow them to install. Not sure if the problem is with the Gerber Omega program or with how FontCreator files are created and stored. Any insight on what is going on or what I can do to get the fonts to work.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Can Fonts Be save as only a TTF font

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Just change the file extension to *.ttf in the Font Export Options.

There is no important difference. If you just renamed your *.otf fonts to *.ttf, your program will accept them.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
pt_crusier_2002

Hi, thanks for the info. I have attached the Created Font File to this e-mail for you to evaluate to see why I might be having issues of it not being able to install on my Gerber Omega 5.0 TTF font install program. It seems to work under Corel Draw OK, but not my Omega Program. Not sure why this program is having issues of importing the font into the program.
1-2 inch Classic Roman Sgobba.ttf
(52.18 KiB) Downloaded 638 times
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Hi PT,

I believe to get a TT-only font, you need to also change the Export drop-down shown in the screen shot to "No."
capture-003707.png
capture-003707.png (6.98 KiB) Viewed 13199 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

MikeW wrote:Hi PT,

I believe to get a TT-only font, you need to also change the Export drop-down shown in the screen shot to "No."
That should work, and if you want kerning you should include a legacy kern table too. FontCreator 9 kerning uses OpenType tables.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

Strangely Microsoft Word (2007 version) only does kerning if the font has a legacy kern table, even for OpenType fonts.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

PJMiller wrote:Strangely Microsoft Word (2007 version) only does kerning if the font has a legacy kern table, even for OpenType fonts.
There's nothing strange about that. Serif PagePlus X8 or earlier has the same issue, and that supports OpenType GSUB features, but Microsoft only introduced OpenType support for Word in version 2010.
pt_crusier_2002

Have tried setting the output files to TTF only, when I check the file afterwards the extension on the file is always OTF. Also when I ask to rename the file do not get the option to change the extension from otf to only ttf. Have also turn on Legancy Setting to see if that helps, turned off open type features NO, Hinting original. Always end up with a otf font file. Help!
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

In general the font file extension is irrelevant, but some older software might depend on it, so manually try to rename the extension to .ttf and see if that helps.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Delete the text path/filename from the export options. With the settings as indicated, when you export choose ttf from the drop down in the export dialog. Once in a while it will try to still keep the otf extension. You should be able to see that happen when the filename is then populated in the export dialog. If that happens, try the drop down for the file type again.

If all else fails, upload the font creator project file.
pt_crusier_2002

Just Made my 2nd Version on a Classic Roman Monument Sandblast font used at 2 1/2" plus sizes, attached is the file for your review would like any suggestion to improve or speed up the process, still spending a lot of time having to manual kern letter pairs even after using auto kern in FrontCraetor 9.0. Have replaced several of the characters with divider bars to make it more useful in my Industry for use. I'll see if I can upload the creation file and a TTF of it, still having issues trying to install in my Gerber Omega Program even though it works in Corel Draw.
2.5ClassicRoman-Sgobba Monu.fcp
(19.23 KiB) Downloaded 553 times
2.5ClassicRoman-Sgobba Monu.ttf
(30.61 KiB) Downloaded 545 times
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

pt_crusier_2002 wrote:Just Made my 2nd Version on a Classic Roman Monument Sandblast font used at 2 1/2" plus sizes, attached is the file for your review would like any suggestion to improve or speed up the process, still spending a lot of time having to manual kern letter pairs even after using auto kern in FrontCraetor 9.0. Have replaced several of the characters with divider bars to make it more useful in my Industry for use. I'll see if I can upload the creation file and a TTF of it,
Nice design, but the font doesn't contain any kerning. Maybe you are talking about the left and right side bearings of each glyph.
pt_crusier_2002 wrote:still having issues trying to install in my Gerber Omega Program even though it works in Corel Draw.
2.5ClassicRoman-Sgobba Monu.fcp
2.5ClassicRoman-Sgobba Monu.ttf
Maybe it doesn't like the characters (e.g. " ) in your font name (2.5"+ Classic Roman -Sgobba Mon)? Or maybe it is too long. Do give it a simple name like Sgobba Mon
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
pt_crusier_2002

Not sure what you mean that it doesn't included any kerning, ran font through auto metrics / kern, but then had to adjust many of the side metrics on the separator dashes used with the dates cause the program change some of my orginal metrics bearings, also placement of period and comma. Font is accepted in most programs except for the one I need to run it in the most.

Plan on contacting Gerber Omega tech support and see what they have to say.

As you can see the font itself is very basic which contains the most often used characters that I use in the Monument Industry at large sizes , not like Desktop publishing or in a word processor at 12-20 point.
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

PT,

Does the Gerber application still require that TTF fonts be converted to their own proprietary format? There use to be an included utility to do the conversion. And there use to be a very specific folder where the fonts needed to reside in order for the application to see and use them. But that was back a couple versions if I recall properly.

Mike
pt_crusier_2002

Gerber Omega has a TTF Font Converter subprogram from within their main Omega program that should convert to what they call a softfont that is used in their program. It starts to install and then I get a error message "Can't Open Softfont". Within the Omega 5.0 program now is a Gerber Folder Location >Fonts to see their softfont that are installed in Omega.

The TTF Converter Program looks into the Windows>font folder to see what fonts it can install. This is where I have place my Hi-Logic Fonts that I have made, which seem to be recognized by Windows, but not Omega TTF Converter.

I have e-mail Gerber hoping they have a solution to this problem.