What is the glyph limit in Font Creator 4.5?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
samej71

What is the glyph limit in Font Creator 4.5?

Post by samej71 »

Hello,

I've looked in the documentation, FAQ, and searched the forums to see if I could find what the glyph limit for a font in Font Creator 4.5 is. So far I haven't been able to find any mention of it.

I know FontLab 4.6 the limit is 6,400.

I'm need to find a font editor to add a single character to a font (SimSun) that has over 22,000 glyphs in it. I want to copy this character from another font (Arial MS Unicode) that has over 51,000 glyphs in it.

Would anyone happen to know if Font Creator can handle editing fonts this large?

Thank you very much for your time and consideration,

--James
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Font Creator can apparently handle extremely large fonts. Someone was editing CJK fonts with thousands of glyphs. The largest I have is Titus, which is 9789 glyphs. That opens in 5 seconds on my 1Ghz AMD Athlon PC.

Just download the free trial and see if it does what you want.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
samej71

Post by samej71 »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Just download the free trial and see if it does what you want.
At one time in the past I had downloaded the trial and ran it. I suggested FCP to my employer but they went with a different program because the primary people that need to edit fonts use Macs. At that time we didn't know we were going to need to deal with fonts with Asian glyphs.

I thought I'd give it a spin and I download the trial and it is letting me try it out again, which is nice.

I was able to open Arial MS Unicode (55+K glyphs) without it being too painful.

I am having some trouble locating the character I'm needing to copy, but I'll post that as a new topic so this my message doesn't go off-topic.

--James
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Both TrueType and OpenType fonts have a 65536 glyph limit. The Font Creator Program can handle this, but you need enough memory (at least 512MB) and CPU power. A more advanced video card will also improve performance.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Erwin Denissen wrote:A more advanced video card will also improve performance.
So too will tools, options, overview, and uncheck “smooth glyphs.” This has a marked effect on my system, even with a few hundred glyphs. I have onboard S3 graphics using 32 Mbytes of shared memory and 384 Mbytes of RAM.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486