Kelvinch - a font for body text.

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Kelvinch - a font for body text.

Post by William »

PJMiller wrote:I will change the upper and lower case yogh for more curved versions like the ones in the Unicode charts.
Excellent.

Thank you.

William
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

At the moment I'm wrestling with the Cyrillic character set, it's mostly done for the Roman font but not yet started for italic, bold and bold italic.

I have made the changes you wanted to the Yogh brothers but again only for the roman font as yet.
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

Sorry it has taken so long but here it is at long last. This is just Kelvinch Roman, the italic, bold and bold italic versions will follow shortly.

Bhikkhu gave his kind permission for me to include some of the arrows, dingbats and geometric shapes from one of his fonts, many thanks to Bhikkhu. :D

This version includes a full set of Cyrillic characters and an incomplete set of Georgian characters.

If anyone finds any mistakes or inconsistencies please let me know and I will fix it.
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Kelvinch - One year on.

Post by PJMiller »

I just thought I would let people know how things are progressing.

It was on 17th January 2015 that I downloaded Font Forge and Gentuim in order to start work on my very own font. It has gone a lot further and gotten a lot bigger that I ever expected.

It was in May 2015 that I purchased Font Creator and suddenly things got a lot easier.

Some might say that it has gotten out of hand, they may be right. It was fun at first but now it is starting to drag, I just want it to be finished. But on the bright side I think I am nearer to the end than the beginning.

Kelvinch now has Cyrillic, Georgian, Celtic Runes and Armenian.

I am currently in the process of cleaning things up and making sure everything is consistent. This process has now reached the end of Georgian { $10FF }, everything up to that point should be OK and finished, beyond that point there are no guarantees.

The files I have uploaded are just a snapshot of a work in progress. Many of the left and right side bearings are not set to anything sensible and the kerning is not done. But the characters which have been marked as complete should be OK.

All the characters which will be in the final font are in Kelvinch_Roman but are not guaranteed to be in Italic, Bold or Bold-Italic yet, but the characters below $10FF are in all four files. Many of the characters above this are either missing or are just unmodified copies of the character in the Roman file (unless they have been marked as complete).
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

Kelvinch is now very near completion. It probably still has mistakes and probably still needs attention, but then I think that will always be the case.

This is now nominally finished, it still needs kerning but that is underway right now. If anyone finds any mistakes or inconsistencies could they please let me know and I will do my best to correct them.

It has been a long time in the making, I don't know if the wheel stayed upright at the end of it's travel or not but I have tried my best.

Now I have to find some way to distribute it. Maybe 'FontSpace' or 'Deviant Art', does anyone have any suggestions?

Thankyou to everyone on the forum for your help and suggestions, especially to Bhikkhu for his video tutorials and forum tutorials.
Last edited by PJMiller on Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DanPLyons

Post by DanPLyons »

I suggest you upload your Kelvinch font to your FontSpace.
Dan P. Lyons
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

PJMiller in the Kelvinch Fontlog.txt file wrote:
27 & 28 February 2016

Re- designed the numbers 6, 8 and 9 for all fonts, re-designed lower case italic 'g' and put the Runes back in. The italic g was challenging because I didn't know what end result I was aiming for, I started out with the idea of making it a script g without the closed bowl at the bottom but kept on extending the descender round in a spiral and then a loop until it eventually met with the upper bowl so it is now back as a two bowl g but the design is quite different from the upright font.

Added the euro currency symbol to all fonts just for completeness, it is never used.

I have decided that the second font (with added MUFI) will only be developed if Kelvinch becomes popular.

25 February 2016

I came to a decision today.

I was going to build the ultimate font.

One font to rule them all,
One font in which to find them,
One font to bring them all,
and in a ligature bind them.

But it doesn't work! It's too big.

That MUFI specification contains a terrible large count of characters. Let's not be hasty, barr rarr rhum ...

I think it more sensible to split Kelvinch into two fonts both identical except for the coverage.

Kelvinch will have Cyrillic, Georgian, Armenian, Miscellaneous symbols and a few other things but not the MUFI characters or the Runes.

The new font which has yet to be named will not have Cyrillic, Georgian, Armenian, Miscellaneous symbols and Geometric shapes but will contain MUFI, Ancient Symbols, Gothic and Alchemical Symbols. If Kelvinch is a flop then I will just add the runes back in and not develop the new font.

I made a copy of Kelvinch as it was at the beginning of the evening, then I deleted the Runes and the Ancient Symbols and all the MUFI characters in the Private Use Area. That means Kelvinch is largely finished apart from a bit of a tidy up and adding some kerning pairs.

23 February 2016
PJMiller in the Kelvinch Fontlog.txt file wrote: I have decided that the second font (with added MUFI) will only be developed if Kelvinch becomes popular.
Alas, some people might be looking for a stylish Venetian font with long-s glyphs and so on.

Kelvinch is a good font, yet there are many good fonts.

If the font with added MUFI were available it might possibly become more used than Kelvinch, simply because of the availability of a font with lots of MUFI glyphs in it.

I suggest not basing whether to produce the new font upon whether Kelvinch becomes popular.
PJMiller in the Kelvinch Fontlog.txt file wrote: The new font which has yet to be named will not have Cyrillic, Georgian, Armenian, Miscellaneous symbols and Geometric shapes but will contain MUFI, Ancient Symbols, Gothic and Alchemical Symbols.
As the font is Venetian, I suggest a Venetian name.

How about

Gondola

as the name for the font?

If the font were named Gondola then you could, if you wished, produce a glyph of a line-drawn glyph of a Gondola, not too detailed, it needs to look good at 18 point and 24 point and include that glyph in the Private Use Area.

Then a document could have something like the following in it, in the colophon.

Typeset in the Gondola typeface

and then have the line-drawn glyph of the Gondola below it.

Actually, I have now checked the meaning of the word colophon.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... h/colophon

I was using it in the sense listed in 1.1 historical, which, in fact, until now was the only meaning that I knew for the word.

I always thought that

Press Mark

is the symbol on the title page and colophon is the text about the printing of the book, included after the printing of the book.

So I suppose that I am suggesting a Font Mark specific for the font.

I wonder if that has been done before.

There has been a Fontmakers' Mark, the same in every font made by a particular fontmaker, yet I wonder if a particular font has had its own Font Mark.
PJMiller in the Kelvinch Fontlog.txt file wrote: I made a copy of Kelvinch as it was at the beginning of the evening, then I deleted the Runes and the Ancient Symbols and all the MUFI characters in the Private Use Area.
So the glyphs are available ready-done?

William Overington

29 March 2016
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

William wrote:
PJMiller in the Kelvinch Fontlog.txt file wrote: I made a copy of Kelvinch as it was at the beginning of the evening, then I deleted the Runes and the Ancient Symbols and all the MUFI characters in the Private Use Area.
So the glyphs are available ready-done?

William Overington

29 March 2016
Some of them.

I had made a good start on the MUFI characters but when I checked the MUFI website they had come out with MUFI 4.0 which contained hundreds more characters. So I might be forever playing catchup as new MUFI standards are introduced.

I reasoned that without the commitment to do MUFI the font would be almost finished already.

I could do with a break. This past year has been intense, virtually all my spare time has been spent doing this font. I never intended it to get this big. It is overwhelming.

Maybe a bit of background would help you understand. I am one of those annoyingly neurotic people, I am on the autistic spectrum (high functioning I hope) and I am mostly oblivious to social nicities but also I cannot abide incomplete sets. Originally I had intended Kelvinch to be just a normal font with maybe 300 or so characters but then I started filling in the gaps and before I knew it the font had grown way beyond it's original remit.
William wrote: Alas, some people might be looking for a stylish Venetian font with long-s glyphs and so on.

Kelvinch is a good font, yet there are many good fonts.

If the font with added MUFI were available it might possibly become more used than Kelvinch, simply because of the availability of a font with lots of MUFI glyphs in it.

I suggest not basing whether to produce the new font upon whether Kelvinch becomes popular.
And by the same logic if it does not contain Hebrew some people might not want to use it and if it does not contain Thai some people might not want to use it. This is the trap I have already fallen into with Cyrillic, Georgian and Armenian. I only intended to add Cyrillic because there are an awfull lot of people who use the Cyrillic alphabet, the others were added because I couldn't abide the incompleteness of just adding Cyrillic.

The point about it becoming popular is that there is little point to me adding MUFI characters if I am the only one who is going to use the font because I have never had occasion to use a MUFI character.

I kept the MUFI characters which were in regular Unicode blocks but not the characters which were in the Private Use Area.

How about

Gondola

as the name for the font?

If the font were named Gondola then you could, if you wished, produce a glyph of a line-drawn glyph of a Gondola, not too detailed, it needs to look good at 18 point and 24 point and include that glyph in the Private Use Area.

Then a document could have something like the following in it, in the colophon.

Typeset in the Gondola typeface

and then have the line-drawn glyph of the Gondola below it.
Niether this font or the next one is going to be called Gondola, sorry but it ain't going to happen.

The name Kelvinch was selected because just about every other name I thought of was already taken. Indeed Gondola is already taken (http://www.dafont.com/gondola-sd.font) so there is no point in suggesting it.

The name Kelvinch is not carved in stone, if I could find a viable alternative then I might be persuaded to use it.

At the moment I am part way through doing the kerning, I have added some rudimentary open type features but not as many as I would like.
But once the kerning is done I will try to find some way to release it to the general public and then go into maintenance mode where I fix mistakes and inconsistencies.

If it becomes popular then it is worth doing more work on but at the moment I could do with a break.
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Finally finished.

Post by PJMiller »

This is the final version finished and kerned.

Unless someone finds mistakes or anomalies, then I will fix them.

The files were too big for the forum so I zipped them. Sorry about all the big files Erwin.

Constructive criticism is welcomed, after all this is my first font.

:D
Attachments
Kelvinch-Roman.7z
(317.59 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
Kelvinch-Italic.7z
(336.33 KiB) Downloaded 440 times
Kelvinch-BoldItalic.7z
(339.87 KiB) Downloaded 458 times
Kelvinch-Bold.7z
(308.65 KiB) Downloaded 462 times
Last edited by PJMiller on Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The server can handle large files, but the forum has some limits to prevent spam, so no worries.

The font looks great.

I noticed the kern lookup contains an empty (3rd) sub table. I suspect this is due to a bug in FontCreator. Can you send me the font project file(s)?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

Perhaps I forgot to clean up some of the tables. I did a lot of deleting of kern pairs which I considered to be useless (i.e. this pair of characters will never occur in any text). Maybe I forgot to delete empty tables after I was finished.

But I will send you the projects anyway.
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

I can't seem to add attachments to a private message so here they are.
Attachments
Kelvinch-Italic.fcp
(609.52 KiB) Downloaded 439 times
Kelvinch-BoldItalic.fcp
(594.58 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
Kelvinch-Bold.fcp
(464.66 KiB) Downloaded 446 times
Kelvinch.fcp
(473.94 KiB) Downloaded 440 times
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

You can always send the files directly to me or through our contact page (which uses a ticket system).

There is indeed a bug as right now the 3rd kern subtable overflows, which results in a corrupt sub table. We will have a fix within a couple of days.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

What effects would that have?

I have installed this font on several systems and it seems to work OK.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Part of your kern pairs is missing.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology