Chaining Context Substitutions

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Chaining Context Substitutions

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I guess this is a victory for the Visual OpenType Layout Feature Editor, as I don't really understand how to do this using code. What I wanted was for the lowercase r to be substituted with stylistic set 1 (ss01) after G and Y (and accented versions of these), but with stylistic set 2 after P and Q (and accented versions of these).

I created classes for PQ and GY (with the accented versions), and then added Contextual Alternates (calt) with chained context substitutions. The visual feedback on the Layout Feature Editor helped me to find a solution that worked by trial and error. I would not be surprised to learn that there's a better solution, but this does what I wanted without too much work.
Chaining Contexts.png
Chaining Contexts.png (104.34 KiB) Viewed 9607 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Re: Chaining Context Substitutions

Post by Erwin Denissen »

And visually designing such features can be fun; especially when the expected results come alive!
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The Comparison Toolbar helped me to decide which other Capitals to add to each class and the Preview Toolbar shows how the full alphabet looks, each glyph followed by the appropriate alternate lowercase r.
Preview Toolbar.png
Preview Toolbar.png (59.69 KiB) Viewed 9603 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
stormag

Post by stormag »

It might be worth mentioning, that Chaining Context Substitutions can be used for not only the Contextual Alternates (calt), but also for Required Contextual Alternates (rclt), when Chaining Context Substitutions are effectively the only "correct" way to go, assumed by the author of the font.
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

I just happened upon this thread, popped in out of curiosity. What a beautiful font you've done here, Bhikkhu -- and that's just going from the screenshots you've provided here!

Is this the "calligraphy" font that you had meant to show me before (in another thread)? I recall your showing me one, saying that it was a "calligraphy" font, but then when I looked what I saw was something more like a text font.

THIS one is certainly "calligraphic," though! Gorgeous! Very nice job you did here. :)