Location of Kerning and Transform folders

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Myrna Larson

Location of Kerning and Transform folders

Post by Myrna Larson »

I've installed Font Creator 9 on my new Windows 10 PC. It has an SSD (256 GB) and a large hard drive (2TB).

Font Creator's Install program put its KERNING and TRANSFORM folders in the Documents folder that Windows 10 created on the SSD. I want to put the KERNING and TRANSFORM folders on that hard drive.

How do I tell Font Creator where they are located? I don't find anything about File locations in Font Creator's Tools/Options.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Location of Kerning and Transform folders

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Did you ever resolve this problem?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The installer automatically stores those files in that location, but you can manually move them if you wish.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Erwin Denissen wrote:The installer automatically stores those files in that location, but you can manually move them if you wish.
I don't think that answers this question:
Myrna Larson wrote:How do I tell Font Creator where they are located? I don't find anything about File locations in Font Creator's Tools/Options.
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

FontCreator doesn't automatically use the standard transform scripts; to use one, you will need to load it through the transform feature. It will however store the last used script in the same original folder, so if that folder is removed that functionality will break.

The kern files are no longer used, and should no longer be included with the installation. :oops: I'll have that fixed for the next upcoming release.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Myrna Larson

Post by Myrna Larson »

By "in the same original folder", do you mean the folder created by the installer? If so, this means that I really CAN'T change the folder, because you're going to try to use the original folder when I save a new script.

If I'm right, I hope you will change this, though I realize it may not be trivial from the programmer's point of view. In the meantime, is this location saved in the registry, that I can change it there?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The "original folder" in my case is: C:\Users\Bhikkhu Pesala\Documents\FontCreator\Transform\

I created a temporary folder in C:\TEMP\FontCreator\Transform\ and copied all of the scripts to that folder.

I then opened a transform script from that new folder, and went to save a script. The folder was remembered even after restarting FontCreator.

So, create a folder wherever you wish, copy the Transform scripts there, and use that folder from now on. Maybe leave the originals as a backup.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Myrna Larson

Post by Myrna Larson »

Thanks very much for the help. It would seem to be a matter of semantics and/or translation. So "original folder' is the last used folder ('used' in the sense of loading or saving a script), not the folder created by the installer. Again, thanks.

PS: My "issue" is that Drive C, the OS drive, is a SSD, with 'only' 256 GB, while the hard drive has 2 TB. I want to put as much of the 'data', including program data, on that hard drive as possible. I don't want to deal with the problem of running out of space on drive C. It's half full already, and more of the space is used in the ..\Users\{me}\AppData folders than by the operating system itself (i.e. C:\Windows\...)
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

No, it's not just semantics. The "original folder" is where FontCreator stores the files. If you move them and delete the original folder, the functionality that remembers the last used script will not work.

See Erwin's Post above.

You can create a temporary script by adding any available features from the left of the dialogue. You can run the script and apply the features to the current selection. To reuse that new script, you will need to save it in your chosen folder. Otherwise, I think it will not be available when you restart FontCreator.

Try it and let us know your results.
Myrna Larson

Post by Myrna Larson »

As I said earlier, it would be most helpful if the user could specify the folder to be used. Let the installer create it in the default location, but add a 'File locations' option in the program preferences.