Can I clone Arial font to reduce spacing between lines?

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
PatrickB

Can I clone Arial font to reduce spacing between lines?

Post by PatrickB »

I'm using Microsoft Access 2016 (Microsoft Office 2016) to create reports on Windows 10. The design of my report requires that I get a single text string to wrap into two lines in a predefined space (yellow box) on the report. What I'm seeing using Arial font is that there is a lot of space in between lines when a text box or label automatically wraps to two lines. I need this wrapping because I don't want to try to create separate text boxes or labels. I would like to reduce this space so that I can go with the largest font possible and still get both lines inside the box.

My question is this: can I use FontCreator to easily modify the Arial font and create a new font that has reduced spacing between wrapping lines? I'm not sure if this is a characteristic of the font or not. See image for illustration.

Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Can I clone Arial font to reduce spacing between lines?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

There is no need to edit the font, and the license for Arial doesn't permit it anyway.

I don't use Microsoft Access, but there's probably a way to reduce the line-spacing to less than 1.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

There did not used to be a way AFAIK. Pick a different font
PatrickB

Post by PatrickB »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:There is no need to edit the font, and the license for Arial doesn't permit it anyway.

I don't use Microsoft Access, but there's probably a way to reduce the line-spacing to less than 1.
Licensing aside is it technically possible? I don't have to use Arial. My question is more about this software and what's possible with fonts in general. I have the trial version and I can open up fonts and it looks like there are settings to control this but want to verify before I purchase.

I have used Access for 20 years. I do not believe there is a way. I think Word does give some options but not Access.

Thanks.
PatrickB

Post by PatrickB »

Dick Pape wrote:There did not used to be a way AFAIK. Pick a different font
Thanks for the response. Are you saying to pick another font to edit other than Arial due to licensing or pick another font that doesn't have to be modified in the first place?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

PatrickB wrote:Licensing aside is it technically possible? I don't have to use Arial.
Yes, it's not difficult to modify the font metrics. I try to design my fonts to use a default line-spacing of 12 point for 10 point text. It would be easier to use a different font, at a smaller size if necessary, e.g. Tahoma 11 pt instead of Arial 12 pt.

DejaVu Sans might be a suitable replacement for Arial, and the license does permit editing.
Default Line-spacing.png
Default Line-spacing.png (22.01 KiB) Viewed 6253 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486