Fonts don't delete

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
corteq

Re: Fonts don't delete

Post by corteq »

What about the possibility of exporting tags and custom views? If we could do this, delete the database, import the current font folders and custom views that may be a work around.

Your software is good. It's clean and very fast because you are using a database. For these reasons I prefer MainType over Font Expert and Suitcase Fusion, but we have to have a way to clean up the store.

Whadaya say? Is there any workaround that can help us with this?
Graham Young - MT9 Pro / FC 12 Pro / Win 10 Pro / Linux
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

corteq wrote:What about the possibility of exporting tags and custom views? If we could do this, delete the database, import the current font folders and custom views that may be a work around.
I think it is a good idea to implement importing and exporting such information, so I've added it to the to-do list.
corteq wrote:Your software is good. It's clean and very fast because you are using a database. For these reasons I prefer MainType over Font Expert and Suitcase Fusion, but we have to have a way to clean up the store.
I'm glad to hear you still like most of MainType, but we won't be able to solve this issue for the short term.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
ahinterl

Post by ahinterl »

MainType is surely a top product. But the reason that prevents me from buying and using it is that I cannot permanently remove fonts from the vault. The option to ignore them only is a showstopper for me.

Andreas
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

ahinterl wrote:The option to ignore them only is a showstopper for me.
There is no reason for it to be a showstopper, unless you have 100,000 fonts and do a lot of tagging.

I periodically reinstall MainType and rebuild the database. It takes maybe half an hour to index, group, and tag my fonts. I have about 4,500 in my Library, and lots of groups built from a well-organised folder structure that I have used for years.

I design my own fonts, so I frequently permanently remove old versions and update the font library. I don't even look at the ignored list, so it does not bother me. I wonder why anyone would be bothered by something that they cannot even see unless they go looking for it?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

ahinterl wrote:MainType is surely a top product. But the reason that prevents me from buying and using it is that I cannot permanently remove fonts from the vault. The option to ignore them only is a showstopper for me.
Thank you for letting us know. It looks like this issue needs to be addressed, but maybe other users have other opinions?

Also, do you want this so you can save some disk space (which nowadays costs less than a dollar for 5GB), or to delete any evidence, or just because?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Erwin Denissen wrote:
ahinterl wrote:MainType is surely a top product. But the reason that prevents me from buying and using it is that I cannot permanently remove fonts from the vault. The option to ignore them only is a showstopper for me.
It looks like this issue needs to be addressed, but maybe other users have other opinions?
If it only takes a few hours to code, then it would be useful to have an option to purge the database.

If it takes a day or longer, I can find at least a dozen other feature requests that would benefit more users.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Erwin Denissen wrote:
Thank you for letting us know. It looks like this issue needs to be addressed, but maybe other users have other opinions?

Also, do you want this so you can save some disk space (which nowadays costs less than a dollar for 5GB), or to delete any evidence, or just because?
I stopped using MT because of how fonts were handled. I found myself getting too frustrated with fonts that it either would not display due to complexity, fonts that I had "deleted" from MT still showing up at times or once added back in (the whole font creation cycle thing) not being able to be activated, etc., etc. I spent too much time rebuilding, uninstalling/reinstalling, etc., to make it worth while to me.

Before I fully left MT (but had installed another FM), I believe I wrote a request for a different means of dealing with the database. Without being able to actually remove something from a database, there is no DB management. Which defeats the purpose of a DB. But it shouldn't end with just the deletion. I have no idea the structure of the database, but most need to be able to be optimized once in a while for efficient indexing.

Mike
JohaWeber

Post by JohaWeber »

MikeW wrote: I stopped using MT because of how fonts were handled. I found myself getting too frustrated with fonts that it either would not display due to complexity, fonts that I had "deleted" from MT still showing up at times or once added back in (the whole font creation cycle thing) not being able to be activated, etc., etc. I spent too much time rebuilding, uninstalling/reinstalling, etc., to make it worth while to me.
I'm at the same point and think the same way and I am deeply frustrated that I even bought the upgrade to Version 7 recently...
corteq

Post by corteq »

4 years on and MainType is much better. I returned to using it once this issue was (supposedly) resolved. I am so disappointed that it still has problems deleting fonts.

I have over 50,000 fonts and periodically cleanout old versions.

Option 1 on the Delete Fonts panel states:
Delete the selected font(s) from all known file system locations and from your MainType library. The font(s) will no longer be available.

Nah, it doesn't. Yes, it removes them from the database, great, that was the tricky part that you have done very well to achieve, but it doesn't delete them from the file system. The next time you do a Library Refresh you have them back in the database. I have to manually delete the font file. That may not seem like a big deal but it is when you are managing a large collection. Fonts are located on a network drive with full user permissions.

Is there something I am missing? I would have thought this would have been tested so it's got to be something at my end not right.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We've just released MainType 9.0.0.1199 which comes with several bug fixes and improvements, so please give it a try and let us know your results.

We've tested it and it works just fine, but if it continues to fail on your system and it is reproducible, we should be able to find the cause and a way to solve the problem.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
corteq

Post by corteq »

Thanks for that. Still a problem though. I noticed the font folders had been given the Read Only attribute so ok I removed that, tried a Library Refresh and the Read Only tag was back. This is only on network folders (NTFS). As an experiment I copied some fonts to a local drive and was able to successfully delete them through MainType.

Is there something in MT setting the fonts to Read Only on network locations?
corteq

Post by corteq »

Some more testing... the Read Only tagging is not caused by MainType but it's a Windows thing I will have to investigate a bit. Having said that, MainType should still be able to delete these files depending on what access rights it assigns itself. If it is using the user's rights it should be fine.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

corteq wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:45 pm Is there something in MT setting the fonts to Read Only on network locations?
I'm not aware of such thing and it is working just fine here.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology