Differentiating Anchor Types

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
tjdickinson

Differentiating Anchor Types

Post by tjdickinson »

I don't understand the proper application of the anchor types "mark" and "base". Does a "base" anchor only go on the base glyph, and the "mark" anchor only on the mark glyph? Or do you put a "mark" anchor on the base glyph to show where the mark sits, and a "base" anchor on the mark glyph to show where it attaches to the base? Or does a glyph contain both the mark and base anchor types?
Thank you!
TD
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Differentiating Anchor Types

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Have your read the help topics?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
tjdickinson

Post by tjdickinson »

Thanks for your response! Yes, I did read that, and all the other instances of "anchor" in the documentation. But none of it explained (at least, as far as I could glean) how to assign anchors from the Add Anchor tool in glyph edit mode. I have the option to add a "base" or "mark" anchor, but it's not clear to me which to use in what scenario.
Thank you!
TD
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

tjdickinson wrote:I don't understand the proper application of the anchor types "mark" and "base". Does a "base" anchor only go on the base glyph, and the "mark" anchor only on the mark glyph?
Yes.

When you add an anchor to a base glyph it should be a 'base' type anchor, when you add an anchor to a diacritic mark it should be a 'mark' type anchor.

Then if that diacritic mark character is used following the character which has an anchor of the same name the rendering program will line up the two anchors so that they are in the same position, it does this by moving the character with the 'mark' type anchor, the character with the 'base' anchor does not have it's position altered.

Two consecutive glyphs with 'base' anchors of the same name will have no effect, their positions will not be altered. Two consecutive characters with 'mark' type anchors of the same name will have no effect and their positions will not be altered.

Any questions ? :wink:
tjdickinson

Post by tjdickinson »

PJMiller wrote: Any questions ? :wink:
None at all! Excellent explanation. Thank you!
Thank you!
TD