Width of glyph

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Fonts

Width of glyph

Post by Fonts »

I have changed the the width of 1 glyph in FontCreator. At the same time, it was moved left.
When I enter the glyph in a word processor, it still has the same overall width as before, but it can be seen that it's moved to the left.
Changed via right-click, Properties, change Advanced Width.
Why is this happening?
I have version 6.0.
Attachments
Attachment.png
Attachment.png (4.35 KiB) Viewed 3370 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Width of glyph

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

FontCreator 6.5 is the oldest version I have installed, but that has the same glyph properties dialogue. Changing the Advance width only changes the right side-bearing, not the left side-bearing, so the glyph should not move to the left.

Make sure that you uninstalled the old version, and restart Word. It may be caching some values from the older version of the font.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Fonts

Post by Fonts »

What worked for me:
Format, Settings, General tab, Fixed Pitch set to 0.
Is this the right way? Are the only options 1 and 0?
... restarting Word did not work.
... moving glyph to the left: I did this, so I assume your comment is not relevant?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This is what the help file says:

Fixed Pitch

Set to 0 if the font is proportionally spaced, non-zero if the font is not proportionally spaced (i.e. monospaced).

Unless your font is monospaced the value should be set to zero. I don't understand why values greater than 1 would be needed.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Fonts

Post by Fonts »

Thx for confirmation.