Font exports with glyphs misassigned

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
chaztips

Font exports with glyphs misassigned

Post by chaztips »

I'm just getting started with ver. 11 on Windows 10 on a large project and have encountered problems outside my experience with earlier versions of FontCreator.

3 separate files of American Uncial, two by URW and one with no listed designer/publisher, needed fixes--two with contour problems on the Os and Oslashes and one needing to be converted from symbol. The fixes were easily made and two files exported fine. The third arrived in the folder with the letters completely out of order. I made several attempts to see what I could do to prevent glyph rearrangement, especially in the Export As options, and have had no success. Even simply copying in the glyph fixes with no other font tools used still results in the letter rearrangement.

In the Preview Text in Main Type, "American" came out as oyq[732]uomz (both cases of the file have lowercased glyphs). In the character table everything looks fine.

As a related issue, I do not see a way to export or save as a .ttf file. The great majority of my intended fixes will be to one of two files out of families of True Type files. I think that my preference, barring something you might inform me of, is to be able to keep all files of a True Type set .ttf.
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Font exports with glyphs misassigned

Post by PJMiller »

Let me guess, the one which exported with the glyphs mis-assigned was the one which was converted from a symbol font, am I right ?

Please read page 22 to 24 of the manual to learn about exporting legacy .TTF files.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Convert symbols fonts to Unicode from the Tools menu.

If you wish, you can set the file extension to *.ttf in the export settings dialogue, but *.otf is the default.

TrueType or OpenType?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

chaztips wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:01 pmIn the Preview Text in Main Type, "American" came out as oyq[732]uomz (both cases of the file have lowercased glyphs). In the character table everything looks fine.
I remember such issues could happen with some awkward fonts, but we released a fix for that. Are you using the latest version of FontCreator?
chaztips wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:01 pmAs a related issue, I do not see a way to export or save as a .ttf file. The great majority of my intended fixes will be to one of two files out of families of True Type files. I think that my preference, barring something you might inform me of, is to be able to keep all files of a True Type set .ttf.
Don't let the file extension confuse you. Just be sure you export your font with TrueType based outlines.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
chaztips

Post by chaztips »

Thanks for the good suggestions.

I should have made clear that, no, the file converted from Symbol worked fine.

And I appear to be using the latest FC version, Erwin.

On a hunch, I went back to the archive and copied in the original file. When I ran it through FC I got the right letters in the MT Preview Pane, just some jumbled on top of each other and also with large mid-word gaps. I then "fixed" that file using FontXChange, and when I ran that file through FC, I got exactly the same problem I first mentioned... the exact same mistaken letter substitutions.

I checked, and, sure enough, in the folder there was a Font Doctor report from long ago listing the American Uncial as a file that had been successfully fixed.

I'm guessing what has happened is that the original file was fatally flawed, and that condition was made worse in both cases by the table "fixes."

If I can't find a clean version online, I can always copy the glyphs into a new file sometime when I have the stamina.

As for the True Type extension, I'm guessing, Erwin, that I have overlooked a place where I get to set that, rather than .otf, as the output default. I'll find it.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

chaztips wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:46 pm Thanks for the good suggestions.

I should have made clear that, no, the file converted from Symbol worked fine.

And I appear to be using the latest FC version, Erwin.

On a hunch, I went back to the archive and copied in the original file. When I ran it through FC I got the right letters in the MT Preview Pane, just some jumbled on top of each other and also with large mid-word gaps. I then "fixed" that file using FontXChange, and when I ran that file through FC, I got exactly the same problem I first mentioned... the exact same mistaken letter substitutions.

I checked, and, sure enough, in the folder there was a Font Doctor report from long ago listing the American Uncial as a file that had been successfully fixed.

I'm guessing what has happened is that the original file was fatally flawed, and that condition was made worse in both cases by the table "fixes."

If I can't find a clean version online, I can always copy the glyphs into a new file sometime when I have the stamina.
I'm glad to hear the issue is not related to our software.
chaztips wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:46 pmAs for the True Type extension, I'm guessing, Erwin, that I have overlooked a place where I get to set that, rather than .otf, as the output default. I'll find it.
I referred to the outline format on the font export settings dialog, not the file extension. But you can also set the output file (and thus the file extension) there.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology