Error - Foreign key constraint failed

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Marla

Error - Foreign key constraint failed

Post by Marla »

Hi,

I've been using Maintype for over a year with no issues and I love it. Running 7.0 on a Windows 10 PC.

Suddenly when I last rebooted my PC, MainType fialed to start and gave this error message.
maintype.JPG
maintype.JPG (48.89 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
Should I uninstall and reinstall? Anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks for any help (and please ask any questions that might help diagnose). Thank you so much!

Marla
Marla

Re: Error - Foreign key constraint failed

Post by Marla »

I'm still experiencing this error.

Could someone tell me, if I uninstall and re-install, will MainType auto-restore the settings and configuration? Or is there something I should do to back it up first?

Also is there another way to ask for support directly, or is this forum the right place?

Thank you.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I'm sorry about the inconvenience, but this is a serious error. It indicates the database is corrupt.

This should never happen. Did you experience a power failure or did you force a reboot?

So it is best to restore a backup if you made one recently through FmsConfig. If you don't have a backup, then there is no easy fix for this, so only a full uninstall and then a reinstall will solve the issue, but then you'll lose all your groups, tags, ratings, etc.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Marla

Post by Marla »

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I did not experience a power failure or sudden shut down. I did do a normal Windows reboot. The reboot was just routine, not due to any issues I was having.

Regarding "restore a backup if you made one recently through FmsConfig" -- is this something I should be doing in MainType? Is it a manual process that I need to remember to initiate periodically? I have never made a backup in MainType.

I will reinstall the program. Fortunately my groups and tags are not as extensive as some users'. I do (did) have some, but not a large number.

Thank you for your help with this.

:-)
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Backing up is always recommended,

Fmsconfig
MainType comes with a font management service configuration utility that allows you to make backups of the database and the vault. You can find it in the start menu. We recommend to make backups regularly; preferably not on the same hard disk.
However, if you have not used tagging extensively, and don't have a huge library of fonts, it's not difficult to rebuild the groups on reinstalling MainType. Finding and resinstalling all of your fonts may not be so easy.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486