Wickednesse

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
Psymon

Re: Wickednesse

Post by Psymon »

Thanks for your reply, Erwin! I'm just a little confused about this, though...
Erwin Denissen wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:18 pm FontCreator can order glyphs by glyph index, code point, etc. MainType shows characters by code point, alternatively you can use the glyph mode to show all glyphs, sorted by glyph index.

FontCreator has a feature which allows you to reorder glyphs. It is available from the Tools menu. This will actually change the glyph index.
Do you mean under Tools -> Sort Glyphs? I can't see anything else under Tools that looks like anything like that -- but that Sort thing only seems to change things similar to, say, a "View" menu might, or like in Windows Explorer one can sort things by filename, file size, date created or whatever. If that's what you meant, it doesn't seem to actually really change anything, like, in a permanent way (so that what I would see in FC is what I would then see in MainType or whatever)?

I guess it's not too important, really, that those alt fractions got broken up like that (in MT) -- the important thing is that all my ligs still came out in the order I wanted them, and all together in one block (apart from those few that do belong elsewhere, like the ones for ae, oe, fi, fl, etc.).
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

So I've posted my font twice here, first back in March, and then again (with revisions/improvements) yesterday. Each time I'd worked on it -- off and on -- for MONTHS, and then as soon as I do, within a day or two of sharing it, I see all kinds of things that are horribly (and all-too-obviously) wrong with it and that need fixing.

And I'm not even talking about that additional kerning that I wanted and expected to still do -- I just mean stupid booboos that I should have caught in the first place, before that! Ugh! :roll:
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Psymon wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:24 am...I just mean stupid booboos that I should have caught in the first place, before that! Ugh!
Tis the life of a font designer!

I like it, btw. I think ya did a good job on it from what I looked at. The alt r is kinda odd (if I am recalling the right character properly), which makes a quirky typeface all the more fun (for the most part).

Mike
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

MikeW wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:15 pm I like it, btw. I think ya did a good job on it from what I looked at. The alt r is kinda odd (if I am recalling the right character properly), which makes a quirky typeface all the more fun (for the most part).
Thanks, Mike, glad you like my font! Always nice to get positive feedback like that (although negative, constructive feedback is good, too). ;)

Re my "alt r," it's actually not all that unusual at all -- at least not for that style of font from that period. It's quite commonplace, in fact, and actually has a name: "R Rotunda." You can read up about it here (and elsewhere on the 'net, of course)...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_rotunda

:)
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

For anyone that's following this thread, and what apparently is the on-going development of this font, there's a couple of other threads here that directly relate to the direction I'm going with it (and problems/solutions).

Here's one...

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7358

...and here's the other (this thread was started by a query from PJMiller)...

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7235

Some really good stuff in there! Very thought-provoking for me, and hopefully informative, too, for others who might find themselves with similar questions in their type projects. :)
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

For anyone out there who may have been following this thread, I've just posted the newfangled version of what used to be called my "Wickednesse" font -- now called "Alde Blacke Magick" -- along with the other fonts that I created for this family.

You can find (and download) them all here, just posted a few moments ago...

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7830

:)