Correct display of font characters in font programs

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
Shanafeg

Correct display of font characters in font programs

Post by Shanafeg »

Many of my fonts don't have a full character set. Yet when I display them in Main Type or Windows Fontview, Windows substitutes characters in its default font for the ones that are missing. The result is a false display of what's actually in the font, since the substituted characters obviously can't be used in a document. (See the attached screen dump from Fontview). Is there something I can do either to the fonts themselves or Windows to prevent this? I'm currently running Win 7 64 bit, and didn't have the problem with the same fonts with Win XP.
Attachments
Screen dump of Fontview's display of Caxton Initials
Screen dump of Fontview's display of Caxton Initials
Font sample.jpg (78.56 KiB) Viewed 10485 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Correct display of font characters in font programs

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

In MainType, if you enable the Font Preview, it will be obvious which letters are missing from the font. This Butterfly font contains only capitals A-E
Font  Preview.png
Font Preview.png (8.23 KiB) Viewed 10483 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Shanafeg

Post by Shanafeg »

I'm wanting to find a way for those non-existing letters to not be displayed at all. I've noticed that some of my fonts really do only display what's actually there, rather than substituting letters for blank character slots (see the attached screen dump for Ann Stone). Again, how do I modify either the font or the Windows 7 default settings to prevent these letter substitutions?
Attachments
Screen Dump.png
Screen Dump.png (7.77 KiB) Viewed 10478 times
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The font fallback mechanism is actually a feature, so I'm not sure if you should work around it.

You could add "blank" characters, or better include outlines for missing characters.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology