Restore from minimized to screen

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
MikeW

Restore from minimized to screen

Post by MikeW »

Currently when I use MT, I leave it running minimized, which goes into the system tray. When accessed from the system tray, MT is restored to the taskbar in a minimized state, which then requires to again select MT to have it up on the screen.

I would like to see MT, after restoring from the system tray, to be on-screen and immediately usable.

In conjunction, I would like the option to have the close box (upper right x in the title bar) simply minimize instead of close MT. So if in the Options I have MT set to minimize to the system tray it would also work with using the close button. Of course, using File | Exit would still close MT altogether.

Mike
Erwin Denissen

Re: Restore from minimized to screen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

MikeW wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:49 pm Currently when I use MT, I leave it running minimized, which goes into the system tray. When accessed from the system tray, MT is restored to the taskbar in a minimized state, which then requires to again select MT to have it up on the screen.

I would like to see MT, after restoring from the system tray, to be on-screen and immediately usable.
We'll implement it in the next upcoming release.
MikeW wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:49 pm In conjunction, I would like the option to have the close box (upper right x in the title bar) simply minimize instead of close MT. So if in the Options I have MT set to minimize to the system tray it would also work with using the close button. Of course, using File | Exit would still close MT altogether.
I'm sorry but we prefer to make a clear difference between close and minimize/hide.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:08 pm
MikeW wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:49 pm In conjunction, I would like the option to have the close box (upper right x in the title bar) simply minimize instead of close MT. So if in the Options I have MT set to minimize to the system tray it would also work with using the close button. Of course, using File | Exit would still close MT altogether.
I'm sorry but we prefer to make a clear difference between close and minimize/hide.
I like the fact that FastStone Capture can be minimized to the system tray by clicking on the 'Close' X in the title bar, since it means it's always ready for the next screen capture. I think MainType would benefit from a similar option to keep it instantly available whenever a missing font needs to be loaded or installed; users who don't want the convenience of such a feature could simply choose not to activate it.
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I also use FastStone Capture, and like having it always available, but it is not a good comparison to MainType. For a start, it has an option to minimize to the system tray when launching Windows.

Secondly, it only uses 0.2 Mbytes when sitting doing nothing in the system tray. MainType takes about 38 Mbytes, plus the Font Management services.

I think users can soon get into the habit of clicking the minimise button if that is what they want to do.

Bringing the MainType window to the foreground will be a worthwhile improvement.

MainType does take just a bit too long to startup (7 seconds) so I can see why some would like to keep it minimised and ready for use. Anything that can be done to reduce that would be a bonus,
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Another font manager I have used for X number of years minimizes to the tray whether the minimize or close icon are clicked. And in a hurry, that [x] is a lot easier to hit.

I can understand Erwin not desiring to do this. But it is handy and if there was a preference next to the preference to minimize, neither of which is the default, I don't know why not from a user's perspective.

MT take longer to start for me than 7 seconds. So any thing that minimizes the risk of shutting it down unintentionally is good from my perspective.
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

MainType takes about 10 seconds to start up here, which isn’t bad given that there are more than ten thousand fonts in my library, but I would appreciate an option to reduce the occurrence of accidental shutdown. Saving a few tens of megabytes of RAM isn’t a major priority for me.
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Yep, it's the accidental shut down I care about.

Vivaldi is currently using 185 megs of RAM and it is open most of the day unless I am doing something intensive in another application. RAM isn't an issue.

I am in and out of several (to many more) documents in at least 3 applications through the day, most running concurrently. Being able to quickly access client fonts is a necessity. Accidentally shutting MT down once or twice a day isn't bad. Doing so many times is a pita.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I keep MainType running for months. Never need to close it. If you want MainType available then don’t close it.

Do you minimize other software to the tray?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:59 pm I keep MainType running for months. Never need to close it. If you want MainType available then don’t close it.

Do you minimize other software to the tray?
Yes, Erwin, I do minimize other software to the tray...like the other FM I use. It's not the purposeful closure I care about, it's the accidental closure.

I reboot at least once per day. Running for days, weeks or months is not something I can do. Try using ID, Q, AI, XDP, PS, PL, a browser and worse of all, Windows File Exploder all day. Windows File Exploder will continue to consume and not release memory. I've seen it gobble 2 gigs of RAM during the day and never release it, even when PDF exports are trying to use up all available RAM.

Because of your prior response, I'm not arguing to change the behavior of the [x] button. It would be nice, but you wrote it isn't gonna happen. That's fine. I do thank you for changing the extra clicks for restoring MT.
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

MikeW wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:09 pm It's not the purposeful closure I care about, it's the accidental closure.
Same here. With a font editor or a DTP application you’ll be prompted to save changes if you’re in the middle of doing something when you click on the ‘Close’ X, but MainType isn’t like that, so it’s very easy to close it accidentally.