WOFF 2.0 support

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
Erwin Denissen

Re: WOFF 2.0 support

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:57 pm If you want to test the upcoming woff2 support (and have a valid license), do give it a try:

FontCreator 11.5.0.2424 (64 bit edition)
There is currently one thing not suported with WOFF2, namely a transformed hmtx table. On opening such woff2 font file you'll get an error:
Transformed hmtx table not yet supported

We haven't seen such woff2 font files, so if you see one, let us know!
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:04 pm Export went much as expected. The Woff 2 version has a different file extension. The better compression is significant. Both WOFF fonts opened OK in FontCreator.

WOFF 2 Export.png

Presumably, we should not save project files if we want to open them in FontCreator 11.5 final?
Those projects should work just fine with all versions 10.5.
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:53 pm I see that the option to not export WOFF was not included. Did that turn out to be impractical?
I think it works pretty awkward if you use Save as WOFF, and then select versions: None.

If you only want to save as ttf/otf, then just use that option.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

When working on a full set of fonts I use the Export All option, then delete the WOFF versions if I don't need them. For those fonts that don't need a WOFF version it would be better to disable WOFF export in the Export Settings.

I also think None should be the default for new projects as probably the majority of users (?) only want to generate TrueType/OpenType fonts, as only Web developers need WOFF versions.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I understand your point, but I still think it will be confusing for people who try to export woff, and can then exclude woff within that very same dialog.

People who only need ttf/otf can use this per font:
export-ttf-otf.png
export-ttf-otf.png (47.02 KiB) Viewed 13202 times
For people who want to export all opened fonts, your solution to delete woof afterwards is probably best.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:56 pm When working on a full set of fonts I use the Export All option, then delete the WOFF versions if I don't need them. For those fonts that don't need a WOFF version it would be better to disable WOFF export in the Export Settings.

I also think None should be the default for new projects as probably the majority of users (?) only want to generate TrueType/OpenType fonts, as only Web developers need WOFF versions.
Seems like I requested just that in the past, here or in an email. It was denied...but I do wish it was there. I never export WOFF and Export All without it would be great for me. Seems if it was in the export dialog, it would be a per-project setting. I doubt most people would fail to understand the issue.
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

MikeW wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:48 pm
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:56 pm When working on a full set of fonts I use the Export All option, then delete the WOFF versions if I don't need them. For those fonts that don't need a WOFF version it would be better to disable WOFF export in the Export Settings.

Seems like I requested just that in the past, here or in an email. It was denied...but I do wish it was there. I never export WOFF and Export All without it would be great for me. Seems if it was in the export dialog, it would be a per-project setting. I doubt most people would fail to understand the issue.
An option to 'Export All Without WOFF' gets my vote, too.
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Glyphman

Post by Glyphman »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:01 pm I understand your point, but I still think it will be confusing for people who try to export woff, and can then exclude woff within that very same dialog.

People who only need ttf/otf can use this per font:

export-ttf-otf.png

For people who want to export all opened fonts, your solution to delete woof afterwards is probably best.
I think the logic in Erwins example is clear. You have it all there. If you choose "Export all formats", All chall be within. It's as easy to just choose "Export Truetype/Open Font"... no delay :)
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Export all exports all formats of all open fonts, e.g. Regular, Italic, Bold, and Bold Italic.

Export as TTF or OTF has to be done four times (or more for large font families).
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We've just released an update which supports WOFF 2.0. It also comes with additional menu items for export save all.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Glyphman

Post by Glyphman »

Have generated some woff2 fonts now and works as a charm, I like the way you solved it. Make sense to me.
Thanks Erwin and staff.