Problem with grayscale rendering

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
JesterMania

Problem with grayscale rendering

Post by JesterMania »

I have a font (Lucida Grande.ttf) extracted directly from Mac OS X 10.3 and I wish to display it under Windows XP. Because some of my other fonts can only be displayed correctly using grayscale rendering (in Windows XP, that is "Standard" font smoothing and not ClearType), I have attempted to display Lucida Grande using standard font rendering (in Font Creator, I added grayscale rendering for the range 1-65535). The problem is, the font is too grey and faded to see properly. To counter this problem, I have used the Glyth Transformer and bolded the font. What happened after was that the font would be bolded very inconsistently (some parts bolder than others) and I would have to keep bolding the font until it appeared dark and consistent. The only downside to this was that then, my font would be significantly more thick than the original.

My question is, is there anything I can do in order to darken the original font without making it thicker? Any suggestions are welcome!