Typekit & Google?

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
Paulrus

Typekit & Google?

Post by Paulrus »

Sorry to be the new user who just comes to complain, but....

I searched the forums and didn't see anything other than apps can't have Typekit access for legal reasons. Suitcase Fusion has had Typekit and Google Fonts for years.

I really dislike Fusion and desperately want to dump it permanently, but this is the 2nd disappointment after purchasing the program yesterday.

Fontbase also offers Google Fonts - but no Typekit. I purchased and got a refund for Fontbase because it can't deal with fonts on a network folder - even if it's mapped to a drive letter.

Anyway, I hope this is user error on my part. I'm still working my way through the app, but came looking for answers and didn't find any.

-Paul
Erwin Denissen

Re: Typekit & Google?

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We will look into the possibility of including support for Google Fonts. In the mean time it would be great if other users of our font manager would comment on this as well.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Glyphman

Post by Glyphman »

Paulrus wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:56 pm Suitcase Fusion has had Typekit and Google Fonts for years.
-Paul
Hi. I'm a little curious. When I use Google Fonts I download and make web fonts, then I use them as @fontface fonts. What will be the benefit of having Google Fonts linked to "MainType"?
lorie

Post by lorie »

I would also like to see Typekit and Google integration, for pretty much the same reason: sick of Suitcase, but it does have that nice feature.
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Glyphman wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:24 am
Paulrus wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:56 pm Suitcase Fusion has had Typekit and Google Fonts for years.
-Paul
Hi. I'm a little curious. When I use Google Fonts I download and make web fonts, then I use them as @fontface fonts. What will be the benefit of having Google Fonts linked to "MainType"?
I'm a little curious, too! It's easy to download the entire set of Google Fonts, add them to MainType and then load the few that you want to use at any one time. The only possible advantage that I can see in having them linked would be automatic updating as new fonts are added to the collection.
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Fatbat

Post by Fatbat »

Add this as another important missing feature that Suitcase has.

Google and Typekit support would be fantastic. Please consider adding these features ASAP.
nabsltd

Post by nabsltd »

To integrate with Typekit officially, you have to jump through some Adobe hoops that usually aren't easy and often have bugs.

You can unofficially integrate with Typekit by adding the following sync folder to MainType (%APPDATA% is the AppData folder for your user):

%APPDATA%\Roaming\Adobe\CoreSync\plugins\livetype\e

The only thing you lose is that you'll have to manually refresh when you sync new Typekit fonts.

As for Google, use Skyfonts and sync the Google fonts to your PC, then point MainType to the folder you chose in SkyFonts to sync.
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

nabsltd wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:23 pm To integrate with Typekit officially, you have to jump through some Adobe hoops that usually aren't easy and often have bugs.

You can unofficially integrate with Typekit by adding the following sync folder to MainType (%APPDATA% is the AppData folder for your user):

%APPDATA%\Roaming\Adobe\CoreSync\plugins\livetype\e

The only thing you lose is that you'll have to manually refresh when you sync new Typekit fonts.
One small but important detail is that %AppData% actually points to the current user’s AppData\Roaming folder, so you shouldn’t have an additional Roaming subfolder in the path. It needs to be:

%AppData%\Adobe\CoreSync\plugins\livetype\e
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
nabsltd

Post by nabsltd »

Alfred wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:56 pm One small but important detail is that %AppData% actually points to the current user’s AppData\Roaming folder
Good point. Thanks.
bluebug

Post by bluebug »

I actually thought this was already possible, but being able to load fonts from Google as an alternative to Skyfonts would be great. It'd mean not needing to have Skyfonts running with dozens of fonts 'installed', but instead being able to browse and load fonts from MainType.
Gethin

Post by Gethin »

I just found that fontbase could do this, and a google later lead me here

even if this message is 5 years later...
Yes I'd love this!