Caladea Regular Displays as Italic [Closed]

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Caladea Regular Displays as Italic [Closed]

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The font displays as Regular in other applications
Caladea Regular.png
Caladea Regular.png (5.6 KiB) Viewed 11913 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Re: Caladea Regular Displays as Italic

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We've been able to reproduce the issue, and will further investigate it.

It looks like Word doesn't recognize Caladea Bolt Italic, because it has an incorrect font subfamily name (Italic instead of the expected Bold Italic).

Uninstalling all but Regular solves the issue, so the font names are incorrect and lead to unexpected results. Better contact the font designer, so he can fix it.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Leon Gauthier

Post by Leon Gauthier »

Erwin, my little pea brain is having a tough time understanding the problem as you have stated it. I was able to confirm with FontCreator Pro version 11.5.0.2427 that the installed font file named caladea-bolditalic.ttf was identified internally as belonging to the subfamily Italic rather than Bold Italic. Each of the other three files were properly identified internally.

How this creates the misidentification demonstrated in MainType previously or in the file listing (shown below) when opening an installed file with FontCreator is beyond my comprehension.

However, I thought that I could rectify the situation by correcting the newly downloaded file and then uninstalling the existing installed files and installing the corrected file along with the other three all of which have the same creation dates. Thsi idea failed because Windows would not allow me to delete "protected system" files.

For what it is worth, I sent an email to the creator but I really do not expect any reply … after all, this font was created in 2013
Attachments
Caladea Listing.png
Caladea Listing.png (3.27 KiB) Viewed 11894 times
Leon Gauthier

Post by Leon Gauthier »

Well well well, I was able to uninstall Caladea after all, using your MainType program … However, uninstalling all except the regular did not change the regular listing so I deleted that one also and then installed my corrected file along with the three other originals … all to no effect!
Leon Gauthier

Post by Leon Gauthier »

The file listing displayed when opening an installed font in FontCreator now looks correct
Caladea Listing02.png
Caladea Listing02.png (2.9 KiB) Viewed 11889 times
However, when Claldea Regular or Claldea Italic is selected, they both display the font name in italic
Caladea Listing03.png
Caladea Listing03.png (5.62 KiB) Viewed 11889 times
and when Caladea Bold or Caladea BoldItalic is selected
Caladea Listing04.png
Caladea Listing04.png (6.46 KiB) Viewed 11889 times
both display the font name in BoldItalic.
Leon Gauthier

Post by Leon Gauthier »

Since changing the Caladea BoldItalic font to the BoldItalic subfamily did not correct my situation, I uninstalled all four Caladea files and re-installed the original files. With FontCreator I verified that the BoldItalic file was still marked as being in the in the Italic subfamily which was thought to be the source of the problem in the first place.

So, I am back where I began … in MainType Caladea regular displays as Italic and in FontCreator when opening installed fonts, both Regular and Italic fonts display as Italic and both Bold and BoldItalic fonts display as BoldItalic. Curious behavior indeed.
Leon Gauthier

Post by Leon Gauthier »

I was able to duplicate what Erwin reported: when I deleted all of the Caladea fonts except the Regular and then exited and restarted MainType, the Caladea Regular did indeed display as Regular.

However, after I re-installed only the Caladea Italic, both MainType and FontCreator again displayed both files as Italic. Windows previewed them correctly. Clearly, this has nothing to do with the Caladea BoldItalic font being mis-identified as Italic only … it is not even installed at this point.

Once I removed the Caladea Italic, the Caladea Regular displayed properly again. When I re-installed the Caladea Bold, both fonts displayed correctly and when I re-installed the Caladea BoldItalic, all three files displayed properly. Finally, when I re-installed the Caladea Italic, the Caladea Regular displayed as Italic. Oddly, in MainType, Caladea Bold displayed properly but in FontCreator when opening an installed file, the Caladea Bold displayed as BoldItalic.

It appears to me that somehow the Caladea Italic font is the culprit here but I can see nothing wrong with the file's properties.
Caladea props.png
Caladea props.png (6.92 KiB) Viewed 11845 times
Leon Gauthier

Post by Leon Gauthier »

I noticed that under MainType's font information box, under General, the classification is Serif for each of the Caladea fonts except for the Italic font which is shown as Undefined.
Panose Values:
Regular____2-4-5-3-5-4-6-3-2-4
Italic______2-0-5-6-0-0-0-2-0-0 < ?
Bold_______2-4-5-3-5-4-6-3-2-4
BoldItalic___2-4-5-3-5-4-6-3-2-4
The Panose values for the Italic font are very different from the others and perhaps the "0" for serif (second # in sequence) is why it is "undefined" in MainType.

Not really believing that the Panose values had anything to do with this problem, I uninstalled the Italic font and the others all displayed correctly (as expected from previous testing). I then changed the Panose values in the Italic file to match those of the others and I re-installed it. . . . Shockingly, it worked. All of the files display properly in MainType and FontCreator's open installed font function.
Caladea final.png
Caladea final.png (10.55 KiB) Viewed 11835 times
In conclusion, the real problem was with the Italic font but that font as well as the BoldItalic font had to be corrected in order to fix this problem.