Photoshop and Illustrator Plugins

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
SteveWit

Photoshop and Illustrator Plugins

Post by SteveWit »

Will MainType 8.0 eventually get plugins for Adobe CC Photoshop and Illustrator? ETA? I'm dumping a another product (you can guess which) that I've had for years that has decided to drastically change functionality and my assessment is between you and one other competitor.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Photoshop and Illustrator Plugins

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We will discuss this with our plugin developer once we see several people request this.

Right now it seems most people have fonts grouped per project and thus can easily install fonts per project, and don't use plugins.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Paulrus

Post by Paulrus »

Funny. I just bought MainType yesterday to replace SuitCase Fusion and one of the things that sold me was seeing "plugins" listed in the menu. I (wrongly) assumed that no company would put out a font manager and not have plugins for Photoshop and Illustrator. So when I purchased the app and went to install the plugins and get to work I was a bit unhappy to see a plugin for the one app I've never touched.

I'm not in print, I'm in motion graphics, animation & visual effects.

I hope you guys do something soon. I just demanded a refund from a competitor after finding a similar kind of issue with their program. I really don't want to be stranded on Extensis island forever...

-Paul
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

It is good you let us know you are in need of these plugins, as it will become more likely to add support for this in a near future update.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
lorie

Post by lorie »

Another request for Photoshop and Illustrator plugins!
Fatbat

Post by Fatbat »

I am in the same boat as Paulrus. Switched from Extensis SuitCase to MainType because of the horrible way Extenses has conducted their business.

I too assumed that you had auto activation in Illustrator and Photoshop and only came to realize you didn't once I'd purchased the Pro product and installed it.

I'd tried FontAgent before this and, despite its numerous shortcomings, it too has auto activation plugins for these programs.

So far I'm loving your software, it's fast and has lots of great customization options, but these are essential workflow features that you really need to implement. This is nearly a showstopper for me, but I am going to stick with MainType for now. That being said, please consider adding these ASAP!
nmw1005

Post by nmw1005 »

Another request here for Illustrator & Photoshop plugins. Otherwise, very happy with my move from FontAgent...
Fatbat

Post by Fatbat »

Any word on your progress regarding adding MainType plugin support in Illustrator and Photoshop? It's been several months, and clearly this is an important feature for a lot of people. I work on many different files, for many different projects, and the auto activation of fonts is a must have feature.
prunesquallor

Post by prunesquallor »

Another request for Photoshop/Illustrator plugins (and please go back as far as CS6: the last one before Adobe became software for rent, and many people have stuck with it).
NotOnSugarMountain

Post by NotOnSugarMountain »

...just the fact that High-Logic has this great Font Forum makes me want to give MainType Professional a try. Particularly since my current FM has removed its user forum!

I too am a heavy user of the last version of the perpetual licensed Adobe Creative Suite: CS6, mainly Photoshop and Illustrator but some After Effects, too. If by "plugin" we're only talking about "Auto-Activation" of fonts already used in a document, I don't mind -- as a workaround -- grouping fonts per project and then installing the group before opening the file. But I add my vote for Auto-Activation plugins for CS6.

What I would mind is if I'm in Photoshop, with a work-in-progress open document, then go to MainType Professional to search for and install a font, and then need to close and reopen Photoshop to access that newly installed font. This is because all of Photoshop's History is discarded when closing Photoshop and thus upon reopening the file again, the ability to go back to a previous state is lost.

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit. I know with Windows built-in font manager, when you add a font, that font doesn't appear in the Photoshop font list of an opened file. You must first exit Photoshop and then re-launch it for the font to be visible in the font list. At least in Photoshop CS6.

Would installing a font in MainType 8, add that font to the Font List in an already opened Photoshop or not?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

NotOnSugarMountain wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:48 am ...just the fact that High-Logic has this great Font Forum makes me want to give MainType Professional a try. Particularly since my current FM has removed its user forum!
Download and try out the free version. It only supports 2,500 fonts, and has some other limitations, but you can have a good look at it, and use it as long as you wish.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Fatbat

Post by Fatbat »

Almost a year on... any progress on adding this functionality to MainType? I love this program, but this is a huge shortcoming that needs to be addressed. Working with tons of different documents and having to manually activate fonts and restart programs is a massive time sink and a disruption to creative workflow. Please give us an update!
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We've decided to discontinue the plugins all together. You can read more about the decision and how to use MainType along with your third-party software here:
https://www.high-logic.com/font-manager ... ls/plugins
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Fatbat

Post by Fatbat »

Oh, very good. Despite what you said in the release notes, your main competitor still provides plugins for all four major Adobe programs, but you've decided to abandon them. This has been the biggest shortcoming of your software, and the fact that you've given up because it's too hard is so disappointing.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I understand your pain, but this was by far the best option for us.

If I remember correctly, our competition received so many complaints about their software, and part was related to plugins, so they decided to remove their whole forum about a year ago.

P.s. if you happen to be (or know) a programmer, and you think you can master the Adobe InDesign Plug-in SDK, and want to try it yourself, do let us know.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology