(ARABIC) Mark Positioning

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
M Hatim Kausarali

(ARABIC) Mark Positioning

Post by M Hatim Kausarali »

Hi to all!!

I'm currently working on custom Arabic fonts.

Query: How to position every mark for every character/glyph differently?

There are around 16 marks in the Arabic language and every mark positioning is different from other and even for every character it is different and in ligatures it is more different positioning.

I tried 3 under character marks (kasra, kasratan and alef subscript) and positioned it in the OpenType Designer. I locked the mark with the option and tried for all the simple glyphs. it was done, and it worked well.

However, when I was trying for the above character marks I observed that the mark is positioned as before and changing it reflected on the different positioning on the previous under character marks.

The height of every character/glyph is different and the position of every mark for every character is also different, How to do this?

Please help me out.

Thank You.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: (ARABIC) Mark Positioning

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have no experience with using anchors, but I think you will need at least two anchors on the base glyph to which you wish to attach marks. One for marks below, and another for marks above.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
M Hatim Kausarali

Thank You Sir,

I do understand that I need two anchors,
But please tell me how to associate first anchor with a group of marks (above the character)
and how to associate the second anchor with another group of marks (below the character).

Any guidance to it will surely be helpful.

I don't have any sort of help from any other than this forum.

My humble gratitude to the creator of this software and for this helpful platform(forum) too.

Thank You
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Do use the class manager to define the two groups of marks, then add those to the mark positioning lookup.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
M Hatim Kausarali

Erwin Denissen wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:54 am Do use the class manager to define the two groups of marks, then add those to the mark positioning lookup.
Sir, as instructed I've made two class groups one with above character and other with below character.
Now, please guide how to add the mark positioning lookup?

I can't find any mark positioning lookup, I can see it in features, but how to assign anchor_1 for above and anchor _2 for below characters?
Pease help me sir.
Attachments
Picture1.jpg
Picture1.jpg (135.61 KiB) Viewed 4112 times
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Select the feature (MarkPositioning) on the left side, then right-click and select New Item to add a mark to base lookup. From there add the base and mark glyph classes.
Attachments
MarkToBase.png
MarkToBase.png (25.19 KiB) Viewed 4107 times
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
M Hatim Kausarali

Thank You Sir Erwin,

I'll ask again if there is any query. Thanks a lot for your invaluable support.