Side bearings - design standards

Post questions about type and font design here.
stormag

Side bearings - design standards

Post by stormag »

I've dug an ooold unfinished font and realised, that the left side bearings are generally set to zero, and increased on the right side (see attached image).

So far I can imagine, that it can negatively affect generating underline (long on the right) and proper centering around vertical baseline (asymmetrical in vertical layouts). Any other drawbacks I should consider?

I've just read many generic articles about glyph metrics, but none of them suggest any standards/guidelines for the bearings - is it really too simple to ponder, or maybe you had come across some good advice?
Attachments
glyph T - bearings.png
glyph T - bearings.png (12.18 KiB) Viewed 12890 times
Erwin Denissen

Re: Side bearings - design standards

Post by Erwin Denissen »

In most fonts the left and right side bearings are balanced. In your case the T is horizontally symmetric, so equal left and right side bearings would do here just fine.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
stormag

Post by stormag »

Thank you very much for the reply - I will stick to your suggestion!
nabsltd

Post by nabsltd »

stormag wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:32 pm that the left side bearings are generally set to zero
Along with the other good advice, note that most fonts still set the left side bearing point at x=0, and then set the left side bearing value at a number that is appropriate.

In the example of your letter 'T', this might mean that the LSB and RSB are both set to 200 (for example), but the left side bearing point would still be at x=0.
stormag

Post by stormag »

nabsltd wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:02 pmAlong with the other good advice, note that most fonts still set the left side bearing point at x=0, and then set the left side bearing value at a number that is appropriate.

In the example of your letter 'T', this might mean that the LSB and RSB are both set to 200 (for example), but the left side bearing point would still be at x=0.
Just to be sure - isn't that the result that we obtain by checking the "Set left side bearing at x=0" box, as I did on the attached screenshot?
Attachments
glyph T - bearings equal.png
glyph T - bearings equal.png (32.87 KiB) Viewed 12829 times
nabsltd

Post by nabsltd »

stormag wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:21 pmJust to be sure - isn't that the result that we obtain by checking the "Set left side bearing at x=0" box, as I did on the attached screenshot?
Yes.

After playing around a bit, I found that the newest version of FontCreator won't let you unset "Set left side bearing at x=0", so it really doesn't matter. Older versions would let you unset it, and then the glyph would act the same if x=0 was at the left edge of the character and the LSB was set to -100. This leads to a somewhat non-standard glyph even though it works, and it makes sense that FontCreator will no longer allow it on new edits.
stormag

Post by stormag »

nabsltd wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:43 pm(...) I found that the newest version of FontCreator won't let you unset "Set left side bearing at x=0" (...)
Actually I've just managed to unset it in 11.5 Pro :P - anyway, great thanks for the clarification!
nabsltd

Post by nabsltd »

stormag wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:25 pmActually I've just managed to unset it in 11.5 Pro :P - anyway, great thanks for the clarification!
OK, it's only the "Glyph Properties" window that won't let you unset it.