Add dot to font

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
voyager

Add dot to font

Post by voyager »

Hi,

I would like to add a dot to a font but I couldn't achieve it.

For example, I would like to add dot over Q. How can I do that. I copied a dot and pasted Q editing page but it did not work.

Thank you very much.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Add dot to font

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Are you simply trying to modify the design of Q, or do you wish to add a new character Q with dot above?

To copy the dot glyph outline, you need to open it in the Glyph Edit Window, and copy it there, then paste that into the Glyph Edit Window for Q.

If you wish to create a new composite glyph Q with dot above, copy both glyphs in the Glyph Overview, open a new blank glyph, and paste both glyph members to create a new composite glyph. Adjust the position of the dot, and decide on what code-point if any you will assign to this new glyph.

As far as I can tell Q Dot Above is not encoded in the Unicode system.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
voyager

Post by voyager »

Hi,
I created a new character for new Q then copy the old Q character on the new Q character. But I cannot past any dot character into the new Q character edit windows.

Thank you
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Read my reply again.

How will you type this character in your Windows applications?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
voyager

Post by voyager »

Hi,

You told me that "To copy the dot glyph outline, you need to open it in the Glyph Edit Window, and copy it there, then paste that into the Glyph Edit Window for Q"

I opened Glyph Edit Window for glyph outline (dotaccent, $02D9) and copy it (CTRL + C), then I opened Glyph Edit Window for Q and tried to paste (CTRL + V) that into this window but it did not work.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

That is because you already created a composite glyph with one glyph member, Q, by copying the Q from the glyph overview.

If you want to modify the existing glyph Q then my method will work because the glyph Q is a simple glyph.

To create a new composite glyph, copy both Q and dot above, and paste them into a new empty glyph, or make your existing new glyph empty first.

Alternatively, insert a new glyph member to the existing Composite glyph, and browse to find the dot above accent.
Insert  new composite glyph member.png
Insert new composite glyph member.png (34.02 KiB) Viewed 4845 times
voyager

Post by voyager »

Thank you,

I understand the problem. I insert character but in your explanation, I see that I should insert glyph. Sorry I am not good at the details. I couldn't the success it.

So what is the difference between character and glyph?

Thank you very much.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Character or glyph is not the point. The difference is between copying a glyph from the glyph overview and copying glyph contours from the glyph edit window.
voyager

Post by voyager »

Hi,
Thank you very much. I solved the problem.
But I have very interesting problems now.
1) I cannot write anything right side of the symbol that I created.
2) When I write the second symbol, it overwrites on the first symbol (image 1)
3) The word symbol screen looks very strange as the symbol is on the right (image 2)
Could you review the attachments (I sent also the font) and help me, please.
Thank you
Attachments
2.png
2.png (48.13 KiB) Viewed 4832 times
1.png
1.png (4.84 KiB) Viewed 4832 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Check the side-bearings.
Leon Gauthier

Post by Leon Gauthier »

Hey, Voyager, I completely understand wanting to just jump in and do stuff; that is my preferred method. However, creating fonts is a little more complex than one might suspect. Trust me, reading/watching a few tutorials will go a long way in shedding light on this subject and they might even inspire you to try things you had not even thought of. Bhikkhu has created a boat load of tutorials which will soon enough make you conversant with the intricacies of crafting fonts... check them out at viewforum.php?f=4