(Arabic) Mark And Ligatures

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
M Hatim Kausarali

(Arabic) Mark And Ligatures

Post by M Hatim Kausarali »

Good Day Sir,

I'm facing problem in this part that the ligatures are working fine and as it is programmed to in the word or any other software, but when the marks are being placed on it the ligatures goes back to their original letters.

In this image, the one on the left is without the marks and ligature is working. where as on the right, it is with the marks and it looses it's ligature glyph.

I've already kept the feature in the OpenType Designer, in the GPOS (Mark to Ligature attachment) and have placed every mark on the ligatures.

As you can see in this image that the marks are being placed on the same ligature, but then too the effect while attaching marks on it in the word, InDesign, Illustrator doesn't seem to have any effect on it.

Kindly Guide me what to do and how to do.

Thank You
Last edited by M Hatim Kausarali on Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M Hatim Kausarali

Re: (Arabic) Mark And Ligatures

Greetings of the Day,

Another query for the same is that some times I saw that though the marks are placed int he OpenType Designer Mark-to-Ligature Attachement(GPOS), the mark on them comes to the default x=0, y=0 position though it is programmed differently on X,y axis.
But the ligature form remains the same,
Picture1.png
Picture1.png (2.84 KiB) Viewed 5267 times
As in this image you can see the ligature form(ligature glyph) remains the same though the mark is being placed on it. The ligature glyph has two characters, the one on the right is without any mark and it is in its ligature form, the image on the left is with the mark on the first character but it comes at the x=0,y=0 position, Though it is programmed so as in the below image:
Picture2.png
Picture2.png (344.17 KiB) Viewed 5267 times
Please Help me out,

Accept this forum, I know no one else who can help me out for this, even I don't know personally any of the font developers nearby, to whom I can get in contact with.

Thank You
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Concerning your first issue, do go to the ligature lookup and ensure Process Marks and Mark Filtering Set are both set to None.

I will contact someone who knows all about Arabic and ask him to look into this.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
M Hatim Kausarali

Thank You Sir, for your invaluable help.
I did what you told, and even added a command in the code editor,
lookup Ligature2 {
lookupflags RightToLeft IgnoreMarks;

This actually worked for me, I added this "IgnoreMarks" command and this worked for me.

It started working for me, I'll complete this and get back later on if it is successfully done or not.
If I have any query, will ask again.

Thank you Sir
M Hatim Kausarali

Greetings of the Day Sir,

This is to bring to your attention about the marks and the ligatures that are not working as programmed in all The Adobe Softwares, I tried in Illustrator, Photoshop, AfterEffects, PremierePro, and InDesign, the example in the attached file is of Adobe InDesign CC 2017.

Kindly Check this image, to make myself clear and I am in a need of a serious help at here... Guys please help me.
Picture1.png
Picture1.png (1.33 MiB) Viewed 5226 times
Thank You,
Last edited by M Hatim Kausarali on Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M Hatim Kausarali

Erwin Denissen wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:23 am I will contact someone who knows all about Arabic and ask him to look into this.
Respected Sir,
Have you found one??
Guide me.
Thank You,
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I’ve contacted him today.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
M Hatim Kausarali

Respected sir,

Any Resolvement on my query??

Requesting again the same with all respect Sir.

Thank You
M Hatim Kausarali

Greetings All,

I found out that the problem is only with the GPOS Mark-to-Ligature attachments, whatever the x y position is done for the mark, the Adobe softwares takes the anchor above position about x-1000 y-1500 approx. and the below anchor takes x-1000 y-0 position.
How to make it work in Adobe Softwares, if any one of has got this problem and have resolved or anyone who has even slightest idea, please help me out.

A humble request to help me; as this place and you, the reader, is my last resort,

Thank You,
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

You could ask help at this forum:

https://typedrawers.com/categories/font-technology

There are numerous professional type designers and they usually provide great feedback.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology