New Font from pdf copy & paste

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
halaywi

New Font from pdf copy & paste

Post by halaywi »

I want to create a new font of an ancient script that does not have Unicode codes. I have the glyphs from copying them from ancient writings and converting them into jpg and pdf characters. Is there a way I can make them into a new font by copying and pasting them into the program? I am not artistic so I cannot draw them well on my own to thereby make the font. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: New Font from pdf copy & paste

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If you save each glyph as a PDF and name them in the correct alphabetical order, you can just drag them from Windows Explorer, and drop them into a blank new font, e.g. dropping them onto the A glyph in the glyph overview to fill glyphs A-Z.

You will, no doubt, then have to adjust the size and position of each glyph. Adjust the import options, undo the import, and try again, until you're happy with the scale and position factors.
Import Settings.png
Import Settings.png (6.16 KiB) Viewed 2583 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Sure, you can copy and paste, and even drag and drop from Windows file explorer to FontCreator. Please be aware FontCreator allows you to import both raster and vector based images, but comes with some restrictions:

To import raster based images, you need to have them as bitmap, jpg or png.
For vector based images it supports ai, eps and pdf.

If there are no Unicode code points for your characters, then you either use the private use area or misuse existing character slots.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
halaywi

Post by halaywi »

I tried to paste a jpg version of a glyph as you desscribe and the raster image came out flipped with no way to flip it over. I also tried to copy and paste a pdf glyph but it would not paste.