Synchronize MainType between PCs

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
Glyphman

Synchronize MainType between PCs

Post by Glyphman »

Hi. Now I worked with MainType for about 4 month, organizing, arranging main type folders, groups, tags etc. Then rearranged main folders and groups because they were too big and slow from the beginning.

Frequently during this project I've had to backup "MainType" and copy the physical font folder from the PC I did the work in, delete and replace it in my notebook and office PC, so I could work with the same projects in all occasions and places. It has been hard work :D

So now I wonder if High-Logic has any plans to add a sync function that you can have on for example "One Drive, Google Drive or your own NAS server?? So when you connect with the PC you use for the moment it will sync so you have the latest updates and changes?

Great software though :D
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed some typos
cpking

Re: Synchronize MainType between PCs

Post by cpking »

I have found MainType7 (just upgraded to 8) to be very good with managing fonts overall. I used to manage a graphic design department and handled much of the IT because it's so much more intricate that typical IT/server management. The subject of fonts and groups has always been an issue - particularly in workgroup settings.

I, too, would like to see the ability to either synchronize or export groups so that multiple PCs could be in synch. Quite often (VERY often) I start a project on my desktop, then pick it up from dropbox on my laptop, and then again on my desktop. Keeping the font groups sync'd is a challenge.

I had hoped when i saw the upgrade notes that version 8 would include this ability; I noticed there's a tag export function. Unless I missed it, though, groups are not exportable/sync-able.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Have you tried to add the Dropbox folder as a keep-in-sync folder?

MainType can be used to easily add fonts to several computers. You can use a shared network folder, a Dropbox folder, or Google Drive folder. For each computer add this folder to MainType, and make sure the "Keep in sync" option is checked. Set a synchronization interval so MainType will continue to automatically scan the folder and add all fonts to the MainType font library. You can also check the "Automatically install all fonts..." option. That ensures all team members have the same set of fonts installed. If one person updates fonts in the shared network folder, all team members will get the updates automatically installed.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
cpking

Post by cpking »

I've had my font files on dropbox for a long while now. However, unless I'm missing something, MainType's files are all local and the tags & groups remain on the computer.

So as near as I can tell, there's no built-in facility to keep libraries in sync on multiple computers, other than having the same physical folder layout on multiple computers.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

True, but you can now manually export your tags and ratings, and import them in your other font library.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
cpking

Post by cpking »

I've been trying to work with that all day and apparently am doing something wrong. When I choose Tools|Import and Export|Export Tags and Ratings, and then enter a filename, nothing seems to happen. It doesn't create the xml file. I've tried selecting a few fonts to see if this was the problem, but I can't seem to get it to work.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

It exports the tags and ratings of all fonts.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

What is your MainType version in Help, About?
Version Number.png
Version Number.png (2.68 KiB) Viewed 14739 times
It works for me.
Export.png
Export.png (23.42 KiB) Viewed 14739 times
Import.png
Import.png (26.75 KiB) Viewed 14739 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
nabsltd

Post by nabsltd »

cpking wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:04 pm I had hoped when i saw the upgrade notes that version 8 would include this ability; I noticed there's a tag export function. Unless I missed it, though, groups are not exportable/sync-able.
Just back up the database (Tools|Create and restore backups...), copy the backup directory to someplace the other PC can see it, then restore. This will copy Groups, Views, panel layouts, tags, ratings, etc. It even copies tags that are not in use (which the Tag export/import does not).

It also includes all the fonts (stored in the vault), so the second PC doesn't need the fonts available anymore, but if they are, and in a "sync" group, then MainType will associate the database entries with the font files on disk.
cpking

Post by cpking »

This is likely what I'll end up doing. Unfortunately, this is time intensive as I have over a gig of font files, so obviously, restoring is a length process...