Smallcaps suggestions?

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
Psymon

Re: Smallcaps suggestions?

Post by Psymon »

Never mind -- just re-did it all from scratch. In fact, I re-did it twice -- why? Because I'm an idiot. :oops:

I am certainly still curious, though, if it it WOULD have been possible to just edit the actual code, and saved myself all that re-entering of everything all over again (twice! ugh!) -- but maybe that's getting too advanced for me, to be working in the actual code (although I've done it for decades with HTML, etc.). I don't know... :roll:
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Yes, it is possible to change a substitution lookup type.

Within the OpenType Designer dialog select the lookup and click the "Code editor" button in the upper right toolbar.

To change a ligature into a multiple substitution just change the code. For example change:

lookup Ligature1 {
sub f i -> fi;
}

into:

lookup Ligature1 {
sub fi -> f i;
}

or for alternates:

lookup Ligature1 {
sub a -> [A a.sc A.sc];
}
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:31 pm Yes, it is possible to change a substitution lookup type.

Within the OpenType Designer dialog select the lookup and click the "Code editor" button in the upper right toolbar.

To change a ligature into a multiple substitution just change the code.
Interesting, but where/how does it specify that it's to be a single substitution, or a multiple one? I had initially created a single sub for my smallcaps, but then later learned (thanks to MikeW) that I had needed to make a multiple sub instead -- it just wouldn't let me add in multiple characters for the output

However, when I look at my code before, when it was a single sub, it looked like this...

lookup SmallCapitals {
sub a -> uniF300;
sub b -> uniF301;
sub c -> uniF302;
sub d -> uniF303;
<SNIP>
}

...but when I look at my code now, with the multiple sub, it looks like this...

lookup SmallCapitals {
sub a -> uniF300;
sub b -> uniF301;
sub c -> uniF302;
sub d -> uniF303;
<SNIP>
sub ffi -> uniF305 uniF305 uniF308;
sub ffl -> uniF305 uniF305 uniF30B;
sub longst -> uniF312 uniF313;
sub st -> uniF312 uniF313;
}

I don't see any difference, really (other than that the last few in the latter example have multiple glyphs for the output).

Why is it that the OTD won't let me add in additional (multiple) characters for the output if I initially told it to be a single sub? Indeed, how does it even know whether it's a single sub or a multi sub, if the code looks virtually the same?