Ye Alde Font Familie

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
Psymon

Re: Ye Alde Font Familie

Post by Psymon »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:45 am You can save a lot of time and space by archiving TTF or OTF to 7z format first.
I'm not quite sure what you mean (or are referring to) -- do you mean here in my post, or on my hard drive? I'm okay with how things are on the latter, although I did just rearrange things on my hard drive, but more for facilitating and simplifying getting the headers/titles better in those PDFs of my character sets that I've been putting together, more than any other reason. And I also re-saved all my FC project names to include a version number, too, which then shows up as the header in those PDFs.

That's all neither here nor there as far as my previous query goes, though, of course.
What is sometimes helpful, is to upload the FontCreator Project, then other FontCreator users can see your design notes, guidelines, OpenType tables etc., if you're looking for help or critique on more than just the end result.
I don't use notes -- and don't know what "guidelines" are??? -- and if I upload a TTF here, isn't all that OTF info included in the font?

In any case, I don't know if there's anything in my project files that would really be helpful, any more than just the TTF fonts would be (although maybe there's something I don't know about these things).

Thanks, though, to both you and Erwin for saying it's okay to just edit my original post here and delete all the fonts and simply put a link to my site instead. Phew! It's exasperating enough these past couple of days constantly re-uploading everything to there, each time I make a few corrections or improvements -- especially for my blackletter font, I think I've uploaded about 10 or 20 different versions of "Version 1.00." :lol:
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Psymon wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:56 am
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:45 am You can save a lot of time and space by archiving TTF or OTF to 7z format first.
I'm not quite sure what you mean (or are referring to) -- do you mean here in my post, or on my hard drive?
If you archive five fonts, you only need to change one attachment instead of five. Space on your hard drive is seldom an issue, but I upload all of my fonts as archives to my web server to save upload/download time and server space. One archive may contain 16 font files and be one quarter of the size of the individual fonts.

To see the Notes Toolbar, press F2. Here, you can keep track of modifications that you have made and why. The Font Project file contains much more than just the TTF or OTF.
Notes Toolbar.png
Notes Toolbar.png (34.36 KiB) Viewed 18102 times
  1. Guidelines dragged from the ruler to align diacritics, or whatever. Slanted guidelines for italic typefaces.
  2. Comparison glyphs
  3. Empty or unmapped glyphs used as a basis for designing other glyphs
  4. OpenType feature and tables, kerning data, etc.
  5. Tags used for identifying groups of glyphs: recently added, todo (unfinished) etc.
  6. Glyph members for Coloured Glyphs
  7. Current hide/show settings for Grid, Guides, Metrics, Snapping, locking, etc.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:13 am If you archive five fonts, you only need to change one attachment instead of five. Space on your hard drive is seldom an issue, but I upload all of my fonts as archives to my web server to save upload/download time and server space. One archive may contain 16 font files and be one quarter of the size of the individual fonts.
Oh, on your website, do you keep previous versions of your fonts available there, too? Is that what you meant? I was only going to just make available the latest version(s) -- although on my hard drive I keep track of previous FC project files, of course. Disk space isn't really an issue for me (plus I have a 12TB external RAID drive for backup).
To see the notes panel, press F2. Here, you can keep track of modifications that you have made and why. The Font Project file contains much more than just the TTF or OTF.
Oh, cool -- I guess I just haven't found a use/need for keeping notes or anything like that as yet, so I don't think there's anything "extra" that one would get by my uploading an FCP file here (rather than just the font).

Maybe some day, though! I'm still rather a newbie at all this, with these fonts really being the first "real" fonts that I ever produced, and I still have so much to learn about FC, too -- heck, I didn't even know about that comparison thing until the other day, for example. :shock:
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

No, I don't keep previous versions of my fonts. If I am desperate to recover something, I will open a project file created in an earlier version of FontCreator.

The archives on my website contain *.otf, *.woff1, and *.woff2 versions of Regular, Italic, Bold, and Bold Italic, plus a set of *.otf for the web with fewer glyphs (that's what the tag "Not in Woff" is for — quickly deleting all non-essential glyphs to export smaller versions for web use).
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

Oh, I'm confused then -- what is it that you're zipping up? Just all your old project files and stuff on your hard drive, is that what you meant? I don't have that many font projects going (yet), but indeed, I can see that it certainly would save a lot of disk space if you do -- I've been noticing that my fonts, when zipped up to upload to my site (for people to download), REALLY shrink in size.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Bhikkhu Pesala suggests you put all your fonts in one package, so you only have to provide one file.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

Oh, do you mean for people to download via my website? I thought of that -- maybe I'll do that down the road, but for the time being I'm actually curious which of the fonts people might be particularly interested in. Like, even here I was surprised that only three of my five fonts (when I had them included in my original post -- before I deleted them from there) were downloaded, none of you guys seemed interested in the other two.

I forget which ones they were now -- I do know what you mean, though, but my curiosity to see which fonts are of interest (and which not) got the better of me. ;)
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

Well, this is annoying. Do you guys have any idea why my ligs aren't showing up in Internet Explorer? I remember having an off-forum discussion with you about this before, Erwin, and I thought I'd fixed that, but now it doesn't seem to be working right.

Here's the link again to my web page (just to make it easy, so you don't have to dig for it)...

http://www.psymon.com/fonts/alde.html

You should see it right off the bat, right in the title -- that thorn+e should be coming out like my "Ye" ligature, but it doesn't. :( The odd thing, though, is that that same thorn+e/Ye lig DOES come out okay in the preview form, down below there -- but not in my headings (h1, h2, etc.).

My stylesheet is here...

http://www.psymon.com/psymon-new.css

I don't know what I did wrong there -- it works fine for me in both Firefox and Chrome.
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

I solved it! I think, unless I'm dreaming and seeing things now.

In my CSS, before I'd had this line (along with a piles of other liga-related lines)...

Code: Select all

font-feature-settings: "kern" 1;
...and then I went searching on google for a solution, and came across this article...

https://www.viget.com/articles/css-typo ... mall-caps/

...where it recommended this...

Code: Select all

font-feature-settings: "kern" 1, "liga" 1;
I noted the difference from what I had, made the change and ta-da! As far as I can see, it now works.

Yay! And phew! ;) So strange, though, that before it seemed to be working in some places, but not in others. Hmm...