Kerning Pairs

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Leslie_SS

Kerning Pairs

Post by Leslie_SS »

I'm somewhat new to using Font Creator (as a disclaimer), and I'm having a problem with kerning pairs. When I create them, they don't save. I go into Font ---> Open Type Designer, and create my kerning pairs. I click Apply, then OK. When I reinstall the font, it does not register those changes.

This font is being designed to use with a pen tool on a cutting machine; much like a plotter for engraving would be. I've created over 30 single stroke font files for a plotter software program, but they aren't .ttf or .otf files. I don't think there is a way to make a true single stroke font (right?), so I am creating super narrow outlines within an external program, exporting each letter as an SVG, then importing them into the font file. I need these to be able to weld together, so they have to join with one another just right.
Last edited by Leslie_SS on Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leslie
Windows 10
FontCreator 11 Professional Edition
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Kerning Pairs

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

FontCreator 11.5 does support Single-line Fonts

When that option is enabled, you can select single or double stroke fonts in the Export Settings dialogue.

Before trying kerning, try adjusting the side-bearings, e.g. for the c in your screenshot, reduce the right side-bearing by 7 funits, which will reduce the advance width to 358. This will, of course, affect the joining of c to all other glyphs.

See the tutorial on Joining Flowing Scripts.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Leslie_SS

Post by Leslie_SS »

Fantastic information, thanks so much! I'd like my pen to make one solid pass (and then it would have to go back over itself of course) for each word; like cursive is normally. On some fonts. I'll be using the pen tool to make wedding items such as place cards, so that element of the lettering would be ideal. The single lines will be amazing to use in fonts that won't have adjoining letters; and I have quite a few of those I've previously created as well.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me with this!
Last edited by Leslie_SS on Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leslie
Windows 10
Leslie_SS

Post by Leslie_SS »

On the single line font information, the "Font" tab referenced in the Options menu is not there in mine. Somewhere else maybe?
no font tab.jpg
no font tab.jpg (170.41 KiB) Viewed 5511 times
Leslie
Windows 10
Leslie_SS

Post by Leslie_SS »

BUT THIS COMPARISON FEATURE!!! Amazing and very helpful.
Leslie
Windows 10
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Leslie_SS wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:29 pm On the single line font information, the "Font" tab referenced in the Options menu is not there in mine. Somewhere else maybe?
no font tab.jpg
You're apparently using an older version of Font Creator. If you go to your User Control Panel and Edit Your Forum Signature it will save you reminding us in future, which OS and FontCreator version you are using.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Leslie_SS

Post by Leslie_SS »

Gotcha. Upgrading now.
Leslie
Windows 10
Leslie_SS

Post by Leslie_SS »

Getting there. I'm working with single lines now and it's amazing. I'm having an issue with getting the joins to be precise. The preview pane is not showing them correctly as I get them closer together. Any advice on this? Also, is there any software program or website such as wordmark.it that will show me a live preview of just one font without having to open and close the program? Wordmark may have it in their pro version, not sure. And that would also show the stick font (it's too thin for most programs or web apps)? Thanks again, you've been so very helpful.
Last edited by Leslie_SS on Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leslie
Windows 10
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Leslie_SS wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:25 pm Getting there. I'm working with single lines now and it's amazing.
I'm glad to know you like it!
Leslie_SS wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:25 pmThe preview pane is not showing them correctly as I get them closer together. Any advice on this?
Can you please send us a test project so we can look into this issue?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Leslie_SS wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:25 pmAlso, is there any software program or website such as wordmark that will show me a live preview of just one font without having to open and close the program?
Try the WOFF font test (Shortcut Ctrl+F5).
Leslie_SS

Post by Leslie_SS »

Yes I tried the F5 feature but it does not show correctly either. Also, for some reason the single line option does not export in single line. i have to use double line to get this effect i need.
Last edited by Leslie_SS on Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leslie
Windows 10
Leslie_SS

Post by Leslie_SS »

.. in my photos, note that I was working with one font when I wrote to you first, then I've changed to a different one in which it is easier to get the kerning right.
Leslie
Windows 10
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

It looks just fine here.
perfectsinglestroke.png
perfectsinglestroke.png (34.41 KiB) Viewed 5459 times
Better share the actual font project, so we know your specific font project settings. To keep it private, do send it through our ticket system.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Leslie_SS

Post by Leslie_SS »

I found a way to get the program to display them in stick form on that preview because I can't tell enough with the thick lines like in your photo. Then, when I got it to show the thin lines, the problem happened with the ends shrinking down as I altered the right and left sides. Does that make sense?
Last edited by Leslie_SS on Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leslie
Windows 10
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Forum images can be enlarged, by right-click, open in new tab.

The line-spacing issue where ascenders clash with descenders can be fixed by going to Font Properties, Metrics, Maximum, Calculate.