"Allow for positive kerning values" missing in FC12

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
outofstepfontco

"Allow for positive kerning values" missing in FC12

Post by outofstepfontco »

Hi
I just moved from FC8 Standard to FC12 Pro and the AutoKern no longer has the option to remove positive kerning values when running the wizard. I ended up having to do it using character replacement after copying the OpenType code to Excel.

What is the new method for preventing or removing positive kerning values?
FC12.0 Professional
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: "Allow for positive kerning values" missing in FC12

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

There isn't any automatic method. The kerning pairs are colour-coded for easy identification.

Green = Negative
Blue = Positive
Red = Zero

You can remove adjustment pairs that have a small value by using the Trim Option.

For large fonts, splitting the kerning pairs into subtables makes it easier to check for badly kerned pairs.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
outofstepfontco

Post by outofstepfontco »

Okay I will add it into the feature request forum.

I went through the link you provide: Doesn't it get tedious to remove positive kerning pairs from a font with 114,000 pairs?
FC12.0 Professional
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

outofstepfontco wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:17 pmI went through the link you provide: Doesn't it get tedious to remove positive kerning pairs from a font with 114,000 pairs?
It's not nearly as hard as you think. There are only 1,672 kerning pairs because of class-based kerning.

However, I do not remove positive kerning pairs because they are needed to avoid ugly clashes.
No Kerning.png
No Kerning.png (5.08 KiB) Viewed 5378 times
Kerning.png
Kerning.png (5.12 KiB) Viewed 5378 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

outofstepfontco wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:46 pm Hi
I just moved from FC8 Standard to FC12 Pro and the AutoKern no longer has the option to remove positive kerning values when running the wizard. I ended up having to do it using character replacement after copying the OpenType code to Excel.

What is the new method for preventing or removing positive kerning values?
We've removed that option, as too many people start believing only negative kerning is good. If your font only requires negative kerning, it is likely the bearings are not correct.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology