Would someone be willing to check my font?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
TM2 Dinobot

Would someone be willing to check my font?

Post by TM2 Dinobot »

Hi. I am brand spanking new at this. I have a font I have customized that is more or less an amalgamation of some other font styles. But I have one custom character I am trying to add, and it is so much larger than all my other characters. I am not sure what to do to fix it.

Would someone be willing to look at my save file, make a few suggestions and possibly edit the special character for me? I would really, rally appreciate it!

Thank you.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Would someone be willing to check my font?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Please attach your font project and tell us which version of FontCreator you are using.

Or attach a TTF/OTF version then anyone can open it.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
TM2 Dinobot

Post by TM2 Dinobot »

I am having trouble with this capital O specifically. I can't get it centered right and it's larger than everything else. I would appreciate if someone could help. Also, if they had any suggestions on other things to set the font apart, I am very open to suggestions. I am still very new at all this, as this is my first font build.

Thank you!
Attachments
0.png
0.png (3.91 KiB) Viewed 2764 times
Spirit Sword.fcp
(38.16 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I would set some horizontal guidelines at the top and bottom of the capital N (select two nodes in a horizontal line at the top then at the bottom, using shortcut "g" to create a guide.
Set Guide.png
Set Guide.png (8.85 KiB) Viewed 2761 times
Then I would adjust the height of the other glyphs to match.
Spirit Sword.png
Spirit Sword.png (38.68 KiB) Viewed 2761 times
There is no rule that says ascenders and descenders should align vertically, that is up to you, but that is my usual preference. I might also reuse the contours of the O for the Q for the sake of symmetry, so that they share the same width and height/position of the bowls.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If you split glyphs into reusable component contours, it makes it easier to maintain a consistent weight and shape to the glyphs. Take a look at the contours in O and Q to see how they reuse the same contours, and notice how I have smoothed the curves on the tail of the Q. Fewer nodes makes it easier to manipulate contours to the desired shape.

If you want the Q to be narrower than the O, just scale the ellipses horizontally using the transform toolbar until they are what you want. Check that the stroke width is still consistent after scaling.
Before Scaling.png
Before Scaling.png (30.09 KiB) Viewed 2749 times
After Scaling.png
After Scaling.png (29.51 KiB) Viewed 2749 times
When you have finished designing the contours, combine them using "Get Union of Contours."
Attachments
Spirit Sword.otf
(40.08 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
TM2 Dinobot

Post by TM2 Dinobot »

I really appreciate it. The help means more than you know. Thank you so much!