Script Font - Using the Apostrophe

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
shannynpalmer

Script Font - Using the Apostrophe

Post by shannynpalmer »

Hey, all!

I'm in the final days of designing my font! :D

One of the things I wanted my script font to have is clean looking contractions (you're, we'll, must've, etc.). From the script fonts I've seen, it's not really a common practice, but I wanted to try anyway. I got it to work in Font Creator, and it shows up perfectly in the preview windows on my PC and also as a webfont, but it doesn't work in Adobe Photoshop and Word. Is this an issue with Adobe and Microsoft, or is something not quite right with my coding? I'd really love for this feature to work out! I think it would be a be happy to send my font to a moderator if it helps to see what I've got coded.
Working Contractions.png
Working Contractions.png (32.65 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
Broken Contractions.png
Broken Contractions.png (62.44 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Script Font - Using the Apostrophe

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Probably your font uses an OpenType feature that is not supported by Word and PhotoShop, or that is not enabled by default. The WOFF test page will tell you which features need to be enabled for the apostrophe to work as designed.

Can you get it to work in LibreOffice?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
shannynpalmer

Post by shannynpalmer »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:07 am Probably your font uses an OpenType feature that is not supported by Word and PhotoShop, or that is not enabled by default. The WOFF test page will tell you which features need to be enabled for the apostrophe to work as designed.

Can you get it to work in LibreOffice?
Thanks for replying! I searched for solutions a bit longer, and I found out how to solve the issue. I just had to manually turn off the "smart quotes" and "smart quotations" in Word and PhotoShop. Now, my font works like a charm, and I'm very excited!

Thanks, again! :)
Microsoft Word Fixed Contractions.png
Microsoft Word Fixed Contractions.png (73.84 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
Adobe Fixed Contractions.png
Adobe Fixed Contractions.png (89.04 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If you include right single quote in a class together with apostrophe, and use that class in your glyph substitutions instead of the apostrophe, your font might be made to work with or without smart quotes enabled.
Quote Right.png
Quote Right.png (7.79 KiB) Viewed 2577 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486