Installed fonts from Microsoft Store are red dot marked

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Glyphman

Installed fonts from Microsoft Store are red dot marked

Post by Glyphman »

Using MainType 8.0 Pro
Just tested to install a font family from "Microsoft Store"... I get the font in the MainType list for installed fonts but marked with a red dot in front?
The font appears in all the software that I use; Adobe suite, LibreOffice etc etc...
But it doesn't appear in the Windows standard Catalogue for fonts? I get no additional info for the font in MainType? I can export the font from MainType and get a "OTF" font out of it... In this way I can make my webfonts; ttf, woff and woff2. And then have to install the ttf in MainType to get it to work in my Webdesigner software...
A kind of a work-around... any thoughts how to handle these fonts? Anyone know where the font is physically installed in the OS?
Glyphman

Re: Installed fonts from Microsoft Store are red dot marked

Post by Glyphman »

Sorry... saw the other threads about this now... but can't figure out where the fonts are installed from the Microsoft Store?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If you upgrade to MainType 9.0 that should solve this problem if I have understand the replies in the linked thread correctly.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Glyphman

Post by Glyphman »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:59 am If you upgrade to MainType 9.0 that should solve this problem if I have understand the replies in the linked thread correctly.
Hi Bhikkhu, I solved the issue with upgrading to 9.0, but now when trying to install a new font "Dephiana" I get a similar problem again. When trying to activate the font I get an error message that there is a conflict with duplicate installed?? I have not installed this font before so it's strange.
When checking the list of Active fonts it is there but red dotted.
I check the C:/Windows/Fonts and this font is not installed here. Then I check the new font tool in Windows 10, Typeface and there it is installed, but no option to delete or uninstall??!! How come?

Screenshots:
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

A red dot means the font is loaded by an external application and MainType cannot determine where it is located. The font cannot be unloaded through MainType.

Unload it through the external application and if you are not able to do this, you could try a reboot.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Glyphman

Re: Installed fonts from Microsoft Store are red dot marked - SOLVED

Post by Glyphman »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:50 pm A red dot means the font is loaded by an external application and MainType cannot determine where it is located. The font cannot be unloaded through MainType.

Unload it through the external application and if you are not able to do this, you could try a reboot.
Hi Erwin, thanks for answering. Though I know why the font is red dotted... but I don't know why it is automatically installed in Windows 10s new font tool and why you can not uninstall it? Even though it is not a "MainType" issue... or it is? Becuse the font is redmarked.
The only operation I did with the font befoere copying it to the fonts folders I shall have it in, was to open the .ttf font with Windows font viewer. Does this trigger the font to install in Windows OS? And if so... why is it red dotted... I have the latest MainType 9.0?

Ok... had to restart the pc twice... now the font is removed from the Windows font tool. And no longer Active in MAinType :D
But I'm a little confused why Windows have this 2 font tools for the OS?? Is there a good explanation for this?
Erwin Denissen

Re: Installed fonts from Microsoft Store are red dot marked - SOLVED

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Glyphman wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:40 pm Hi Erwin, thanks for answering. Though I know why the font is red dotted... but I don't know why it is automatically installed in Windows 10s new font tool and why you can not uninstall it?
I'm sorry, but it seems you don't understand it, as the font is not installed. It is loaded and then it is not possible to unload it as the source file is unknown.

I'm glad the reboot solved the issue, still strange that it took two reboots :D
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology