Advanced Fractions

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Jonne Haven

Advanced Fractions

Post by Jonne Haven »

Jonne here.

I'm getting into fractions. I've done the easy ones 1/4 1/2 3/4 using alt-codes. However I can't seem to figure out how to do other fractions. I searched the web for the alt-codes but I only find unicode. Could someone please get me started on what I need to do for other fractions. Your help is much appreciated!

Blessings
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Advanced Fractions

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The remaining fractions in Unicode are in the Number Forms character set.

⅐⅑⅒⅓⅔⅕⅖⅗⅘⅙⅚⅛⅜⅝⅞⅟↉

Add an OpenType Fractions (frac) feature to type them with 1/7, 1/9, 1/10, 1/3 etc.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Jonne Haven

Post by Jonne Haven »

Hey Bhikkhu Pesala

Thanks for responding to my query so quickly. I'm afraid I need a simpler set of instructions of how to use frac. I'm completely lost.

Thanks.

Jonne
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

After you have added the required fraction glyphs, which should have the standard Unicode names, in the OpenType Features dialogue, click the icon at top left to generate features.

In the Generate and Update OpenType Features dialogue, click the All button twice to clear all checkboxes, then enable the Fractions feature.
Generate Fractions.png
Generate Fractions.png (27.61 KiB) Viewed 3847 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Jonne Haven

Post by Jonne Haven »

Thanks Bhikkhu Pesala.

I haven't updated to v. 12. I'm still using 11.5...that may be the reason I can't seem to find the graphic of Generate and Update OpenType Features. I did select the frac in the Features in the OTD and it added a box with a check mark called "frac". Now that I've done this, and I don't know if this is even what I'm supposed to do, what do I do?

Will I be able to type "1" "/" "5" and have it display a 1/5 glyph of my creation? Sorry I'm so slow with this, thank you for your patience.

Thank you
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It took more effort in earlier versions since we had to write the code ourselves.

My Previous Thread may be the most relevant. Precomposed fractions refers to the fractions in Number Forms. More complex fractions can be generated from numerators and denominators.