type slash and some numbers disappear

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
murisa

type slash and some numbers disappear

Post by murisa »

hi, Iam new to fontcreator, please help to solve my problem..
So, everytime I type 8, 9 and 0 after I type slash, then the that numbers won't show up, in fact it will delete that slash...but others numbers can work normally...
Image resized and placed inline
IMG20191229121228.jpg (58.3 KiB) Viewed 7633 times
If I use comma, then that numbers (8,9,0) shows up..but other numbers didn't need comma to show...I can't figure out what's going on here.
IMG20191229122455.jpg (54.91 KiB) Viewed 7633 times
Every advice will be apreciated..thanks..
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: type slash and some numbers disappear

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I resize and replaced your camera images and placed them inline for easier reading.

To take a screen shot, focus the text area of the Preview Toolbar and press Alt+Printscreen. Paste that image into Windows Paint, IrfanView, or whatever and save it as a PNG image (best for screenshots; use JPG for photos).

Which version of FontCreator are you using, and what is the font that you are viewing? Are any OpenType fraction features enabled?

It may help if you attach your FontCreator project file for the font.

The forward slash is used by the Preview Toolbar as an escape character, which may cause such problems. Note the text string in my screen shots (1//8 and 1//9), and also note the file sizes of my attachments.
Fractions Disabled.png
Fractions Disabled.png (16.18 KiB) Viewed 7633 times
Fractions Enabled.png
Fractions Enabled.png (15.1 KiB) Viewed 7633 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
murisa

Post by murisa »

thanks for your advice Bhikkhu Pesala,..
currently Iam using Font Creator 12..
Right now Iam trying to make my own font..
I've attached my project file so you can so you can tell me what the lacks of my font is...thanks
brooklyn 1.fcp
here is the file..
(93.52 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

There is not much lacking, apart from a .notdef glyph. There are a number of common errors, some of which I have fixed in the attached project file.
  1. Lots of redundant points, off-curve extremes, and contours with incorrect direction. I fixed glyphs: 0,1, and ? Use the Validation Toolbar (F7) to spot them and fix them.
  2. Glyphs that should sit on the baseline do not. I fixed 0 and 1
  3. Figure Glyphs should match the Capital Height, but do not.
  4. Widths of figures are often fixed at the same Advance width for use in Tables. Tabular Figures. I fixed those to an arbitrary width of 1020 funits. You might want to adjust that after editing the glyphs.
  5. No .notdef glyph. I created one from contours in 0 and ?
  6. Curves are not smooth. I fixed this in glyphs 0,1, and ?
Attachments
brooklyn 1.fcp
(92.19 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
murisa

Post by murisa »

thank you for your review..
definitely I'll try to fix the errors and post here the final result..hope you don't mind..
thank you so much..
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I am curious to know how you are drawing the glyphs to get so many rough corners and contours with incorrect direction?
murisa

Post by murisa »

I made it in affinity designer, expand it and then copy paste into font creator..
I don't know it will cause some errors with this route...
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Take a look at this Video on Using FontCreator 11.0. The various methods of creating contours are described from 3:50 onwards. The glyphs in your font could probably be created quite easily using the Free Draw Tool, holding shift to constrain strokes to horizontal or vertical. Set the line width as you want, and use the same width for all strokes.
murisa

Post by murisa »

Iam affraid I can not open your link, since my goverment has banned this site. Is there any other site that has this tutorial ?..on youtube maybe ?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

murisa

Post by murisa »

thanks..I'll check it out :)
murisa

Post by murisa »

as I promised, this is my final font..please review it Bhikku Pesala....thanks..
brooklyn.fcp
(91.14 KiB) Downloaded 311 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

None of the changes that I recommended above have been made. Only one thing to add is that rounded serifs need to overshoot the baseline and caps height by a small amount to make the bottoms and tops of glyphs align visually. So, for example, the bases of the 1 and 2 will sit on the baseline, but the base of the 4 will overshoot it and the top of the 4 will overshoot the caps height.
Overshoots.png
Overshoots.png (9.82 KiB) Viewed 7474 times
murisa

Post by murisa »

I beg your pardon Bhikku Pesala, I think I already uploaded the wrong file...here is the correct one..
brooklyn final.fcp
(60.67 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
..thanks again for all your kind..
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

That's better, but still a lot to do.
  1. Fix baseline/cap height alignment, and overshoots as recommended above
  2. Fix curve smoothing for all serifs (example below). I have fixed the figure 5 to have smoother serifs and precisely horizontal/vertical strokes.
  3. Fix glyph metrics (I ran the attached file through Optical Metrics, which is only available in the Professional Edition). You font is too tightly spaced IMO, but that is a design decision/preference, not an error.
  4. Then start looking at the design of individual glyphs. For example, the capital Y looks like it will fall over.
Curve Smoothing
Before.png
Before.png (13.9 KiB) Viewed 7435 times
After.png
After.png (14.21 KiB) Viewed 7435 times